PCBs

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

PCBs

Postby Sheer Noise » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Hey,

I've decided I'd like to try making my own PCBs, seeing as I have already got layouts I can use. Has anyone tried the iron-on overlays? They seem like an easy way, but often that doesn't equate with the best way...

I'm going to try on this weekend anyway.

On a similar note, although I have some PCB layouts to use for the next few projects, I'd like to convert some of the schematics I have into PCB layouts. Is there a "beginner" software for doing this. I've tried a couple of the open source programs but they all assume a fair bit of knowledge!

Dave.
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby rick » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:04 pm

dave i have a box full of everything you need to make you own pcb including the magic purple light box and all chemicals and materials
come over and borrow the kit pay for the bits you use or buy the lot
by the time i get to using it the world will be running on wind power
rick

Postby Sheer Noise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks Rick, but I tried the iron-on method this yesterday and it worked great. Who knows how long it'll last, but for the prototypes I'm working on at the moment, it's plenty fine. I'll be in touch if I want to do things "properly".

For anyone interested, the "iron-on method" involves photocopying the layout onto a special paper and ironing that image onto the copper side of the PCB. It leaves an impression that acts as a resist when the copper is etched away, soak the PCB in etching solution and you're left with a beautiful clean PCB. So far as I can tell it was extremely effective yesterday.

Dave.
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.