heavy duty speaker stands

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

heavy duty speaker stands

Postby PRINCETOWN » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:17 pm

Hi audiofreaks, was wondering what is the word on heavy duty speaker stands for near and mid field monitoring, the ones with spikes attatched to bottom plate? ?iam fully aware of the principles behind these but cant find any commercially available made ones that will get me over the top of the meter bridge ,any clues
PRINCETOWN

Postby wez » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:53 pm

you're probably going to have to get them custom made. i looked around for stands for my PMC AB2s for a while, but they were all either too small, wrong height, or nowhere near sturdy enough. remember most speaker stands are built for domestic hi fi, at the right height for armchair listening.

i was looking at stands at carlton audio visual, and i was told that they had them all done by this guy, and that he would do them to order, was only about $500. i know they're only welded steel, and if you had an arc welder you could DIY for much less. but they came with spikes, textured powder coating, sand fillable etc, and they are great.

actually i know a couple of guys who do them so contact me off list if you like.

cheers, wez
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Kurt » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:04 am

How tall do they need to be?
I have some about 120cm tall that cost me around $100 for the pair at a local stereo shop. Heavy steel base (5mm) with "spike" feet, hollow steel uprights and a steel plate for the boxes to sit on. I also use a pair of bar stools ;)
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:53 am

I know of a few guys that have made their own using PVC downpipe, flanged PVC pipe fittings on either end and MDF or plywood screwed to the flange for the base and speaker shelf, prior to attaching the shelf they fill the pipe with sand.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Martin » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:48 pm

i made some using a similar method ausrock mentioned, they were good for convinence sake but i would definately go for something steel/heavy duty for anything more serious than a home setup, would not be difficult at all with an arc or mig welder
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

thanks everyone

Postby PRINCETOWN » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:06 pm

thanks guys for the feedback ,i will get them made i have ordered the speaker spikes ,and a local metal shop will put them together$ 85 total so its not bad for custom height stands including spikes
PRINCETOWN

Return to The Turtlerock Forum