The end of the big console companies, or a new beginning???

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

The end of the big console companies, or a new beginning???

Postby wez » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:09 pm

i'm going to try and post this info without editorialising, mostly because my head is still spinning a bit and i'm not sure what i think. but let's just say one company is probably in better hands than the other...

[url]http://www.amsneve.com[/url]

[url]http://www.solid-state-logic.com/news/newsstory.php?id=197[/url]

the two biggest console companies both bought out on the same day! what's going on, did anyone see this coming?

is there anything that's not for sale?[/code]
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Dominic » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:56 am

Well at least SSL was bought by a musician and not a multi-national ( not mentioning any names of course.....harmo.....) intent on nothing more than the fattening of their wallet. I am sure (hopefully) that Herr Meisner will be like Mister Gaberiel and do the right thing with his new toy, lucky buggers!

Ahh to have that sort of spare change lying in the crack of the couch, hey look what I just found in the back of my couch, think I'll just go and buy API :D
Last edited by Dominic on Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic

Postby Martin » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:48 am

its an interesting thought that of the students who supplied the money to buy out Neve, 95% of them will never get to use one! topsy turvey industry it is!
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby timo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:55 pm

"SAE Institute will now be providing through its network in over 45 colleges in 20 countries AMS Neve broadcast/music/film and post seminars for past and new clients. This will be a first of a kind service only AMS Neve is now able to offer."

hahaha sure sure
would have been good to work with real console in the first place
protools + control 24
just awsome i tell you
awsome .............
timo

Postby JulienG » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:46 pm

The sale of AMS Neve doesn't surprise me, Siemens seem to be trying to get rid of a lot of business units at the moment, and if it means a bigger profile for them all the better. However I don't know quite how they'll survive without the huge financial float that is Siemens behind them, I don't see the benefit of suddenly having a sales office in many cities as anyone who is considering a > $1 million console can take a flight to the US or UK.

SSL should stay much the same from what I've seen of Gabriel's past.
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kris » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:06 am

well, at least if SAE runs Neve into the ground (seriously, perish the thought) then we'll all have a new, totally legitamate reason to hate Misner. Nobody could argue with that.

Anyone else concerned that Neve is going to be taking student's suggestions into consideration???? Umm... aren't you supposed to learn as a student, not tell the experts how it goes?
Kris

Postby Martin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:58 am

i highly doubt that, as long as the same people run/design/manage the neve business not too much harm can be done if they have all that money behind them, on the other hand, being part of such a huge multinational could put pressure on them to change their designs to suit the other companies wishes or comprimise quality for a lower price and bigger market share... who knows at this stage
Martin
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby rick » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:15 pm

for whatever bizarre logic applies with these purchases
they were both bought by people who clearly understood what they where buying and could be only be described as enthusists.

madness on both fronts in my opinion

but a good way to ensure your studio has plenty of spares when these companies eventually shut down

i dont know if anybody read last months mix magazine but four of the premium & historic studios in american closed last month.

tighten your seltbelts
the future of studios is in the hands of enthusists
not sane businessmen

good thing too

i am glad i am an enthusist
rick

Postby Chris H » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:42 pm

Well if one thing is constant , it is change." Hardly Cardboard" or whatever their name is put an end to Amek's analogue products. Just as well they didnt buy Neve or SSL. But somehow i doubt discreet technology will still be manufactured in 20 years time. Although they were all saying that about valves untill they figured out a valve can keep operating after a nuclear blast would fry every transistor in a Mig jet fighter. Like tape if it will survive it will be from the efforts of enthusiasts, to an ever shrinking degree untill ....puff...and its part of history.There is still the odd black powder rifle about but no one takes them into battle these days.
Good thing is i will most probably be history by then as well !!
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby ottowr » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:22 pm

Don't forget that the majority of AMS/Neve's sales are NOT analog audio cansoles. They do very big business in digital post consoles...
ottowr
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to The Turtlerock Forum