Bought Some Drums, After Some Advice

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

Bought Some Drums, After Some Advice

Postby SteveL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Probably should have done this the other way around (get advice, buy drums) but I've been after some real drums for a while and some came up locally and think I got a reasonable deal.

I'm not a drummer myself, but wanted to have a half-decent set at hand to experiment recording with. As I was dropping my wife off at work at the local conservatorium this morning I met a guy who was dropping in some leaflets to sell his son's drum kit. I dropped around to his place, had a look and bought the following set for $1000 (excellent condition, never been gigged, no rust, everything still looks brand new except for heads):

Yamaha Stage Custom Kit (7 piece, birch/falkata combination shells)
8", 10", 12", 14", 16" toms
14" wooden snare
Single Yamaha kick pedal plus a set of Yamaha double kick bass pedals
Cymbals are all Sabian B8 Pro series - 14" medium hihats, 16" crash, 20" ride
All Yamaha hardware
Yamaha stool, Rock Ridge Rider cowbell with attachments, bag of drumsticks including steel brushes

Just unpacked the drums, pic attached.

Basically, I just want to prep the drums with some new heads for recording. Most of the heads are Yamaha UT BA, the snare has a remo head, kick is Remo Ebony Series pinstripe. I'm guessing by the look the heads are still original (kit is 5-6 years old). When I did some work with David Jones a few months back, he swore by Evans heads (was sponsored by them). Any suggestions there? Also, I noticed that the wires on the bottom side of the snare are missing 3 strands, worth worrying about a new set of wires?

Thanks for any advice (Ps drums will be mostly used for light acoustic stuff, maybe some pop, nothing too heavy)

Steve

Yamaha Drums.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Lindsay
SteveL
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Bought Some Drums, After Some Advice

Postby Drumstruck » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Steve,

Nothing wrong with the Stage Custom kits - I had one for 12 months and it was a very nice, versatile kit. All the h/w with it is good too.

I'm not keen on B8 cymbals but that's personal pref - when you're after better ones I can recommend an Oz guy who makes some of the best.

Can't argue with DJ - great drummer. I also like Evans - esp. the Generas, though I have Remo clears on my a-kit atm.

For versatility Remo ambassadors are probably the safest choice - the Evans G's are a little warmer.
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Yamaha makes great drums. Well done.
Ian is dead right, Remo Ambassador are default, can't go wrong on any drum.
I'm a lapsed Evans endorser and chose to endorse them because I thought they'd developed great sounding new head designs.
I use EQ3 for bass drum, RevDot Power Center for snare and G2 coated on toms. G2 clears are great, but a little brighter, punchy. A contemporary rock sound. the coated version is more do-it-all.
A lot of people are using the EC2 heads on toms. They are a little more controlled. I prefer to have less control and back it off if need be, but I can't argue that the EC2's don't sound professional, sort of pre-mixed.
Probably good to replace the snare wires too.

PS: Get a bunch of heads from Billy Hyde while they are clearing their stock!
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby SteveL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for the tips and advice Ian and Chris - a bunch of heads from Billy Hydes clearance is a great idea!

Steve
Steve Lindsay
SteveL
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby SteveL » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:13 pm

One more query, any recommendations on replacement snare wire brands (14")? Seems a bunch of different brands available, none of which I'm familiar with..... What brand would be a safe bet for a decent 14" snare wire?

Steve
Steve Lindsay
SteveL
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:20 pm

I've got to say I'm not precious about snare wires. They buzz, and that's all I need to know.
I would probably go with something basic like Gibraltar, Ludwig or Pearl. But there are also nice boutique brands like Canopus and Puresound.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 am

Same here as Chris - I've never bothered with boutique snare wires but many drummers wax glowingly about them .....

I'd say give the ones you have a try - tuning of the resonant and snare wire tension should get you very close to the sound you're after. Just make sure any of the missing wires are clipped / trimmed right back - it's really easy to damage the hazy (resonant).
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby rightintheface » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:03 am

Anyone had experience sanding down the drum shell rings? A drummer I know has an amazing sounding old tama kit (can't remember which model) and he reckons key to keeping them sounding good is every couple years taking off all the heads and sanding the rims so they are even again. He reckons it gives the head/shell maximum contact and therefore better sustain etc. Anyone try this?

Then he said something about putting the skins on and tightening them first before pressing them very hard with a balled fist til they "crack" and then tune them as normal. That went over my head though...

Always good to learn more about drums as I'm still a guitarist when it comes to drums. :ymhug:

To the OP, the B8's are pretty trebley, short decay cymbals. They have way too much sizzle so try to avoid hyped condensers. Good news is they don't crowd room mics too much as they're pretty thin. Cheap cymbals definitely have their place I reckon!
Mitch Catterall
Down The Rabbit Hole
rightintheface

Postby ChrisW » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I wouldn't start modifying shells unless I knew what I was doing.
Most drums I've owned (including second hand vintage) have been ok.
I do know top session guys, especially in America, will have edges recut or modified, but they usually take them to a shell guru.
Modern heads don't need seating so badly, but yes, I tend to tension higher than I need and press down on the head before I re-tension down to the pitch I want.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:37 pm

rightintheface wrote:Anyone had experience sanding down the drum shell rings? A drummer I know has an amazing sounding old tama kit (can't remember which model) and he reckons key to keeping them sounding good is every couple years taking off all the heads and sanding the rims so they are even again. He reckons it gives the head/shell maximum contact and therefore better sustain etc.

Bearing Edge profiling is a kind of science in itself...........suffice it to say that the combination of shell material, edge profile and head type all influence the sound of a drum and considering the shell material is "not negotiable", then changing head types should also involve a rethink of the edge profile if you want to get the best out of a drum...........catch is, it's not really practical or within the abilities of 99.8% of most drummers.
ChrisO.....I think. Oh, and F*#K Google, ask me!
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby andygriffiths » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Most drum shops will know someone who can fix your bearing edges. Most kits need this done as they are mass produced. I had a pearl kit at one stage I paid 4k for, I took it to a drum maker & the edges were so far out it was crazy.When I get new heads on my kit I always get some candle wax & rub it around the bearing edge and then get a cloth and rub the wax in. It gives a bit of a floating feel between the shell & the head plus it also makes it easier to tune. You are right tighten the heads up first then crack them into place with a closed fist or by holding the rim & pushing down with your thumbs. Just my 2cents
Andy Griffiths- onthebeatstudios & Andy's custom cables
http://www.onthebeatstudios.com
http://www.andyscustomcables.com
andygriffiths
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to Recording Drums?