bit of an odd one..

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

bit of an odd one..

Postby toddd » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:37 pm

hey guys, long reader, first time poster in the synth forum....

i have a pretty odd looking 'teisco' keyboard thats a bit out of tune. looks like this:

photo-5.JPG

just wondering if anybody could shed some light. also if it would be worth the maintence cost to get in back into a more usable state. i paid i think $150 for it....

thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd Dixon
tmdixon [at] gmail [dot] com
toddd

Re: bit of an odd one..

Postby Thirteen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm

If it is an organ it probably has little ferrite slugs that you turn with a screwdriver in order to tune it. Is it out of tune within itself between notes or does it just have a global pitch offset issue?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby toddd » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:51 pm

thanks steve!

it was out with itself, and doesn't have that universal tune screw that a lot of keyboards have.

but i whipped the top off it and could see the slugs you were talking about. it has a board for each note, just went through and gave them all a tweak, now she's in tune.

the slugs for the tuning seemed to be made out of plastic and a couple of them cracked. i hope it doesn't drift out too far in the next little bit, i feel like replacing those things could be difficult...

thanks again!
Todd Dixon
tmdixon [at] gmail [dot] com
toddd

Postby Thirteen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm

They are ferrite and quite brittle, you have to be gentle with them if they haven't been turned in a long time.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to Vintage Synth Forum