acoustics - non parallel wall angles

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

acoustics - non parallel wall angles

Postby url » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:42 pm

I'm currently in planning for a backyard control room which i'll be building off a slab once i remove the garage.

I'll be building non-parallel walls. Are there standard angles for the meeting walls that are considered optimal? Or is the point that they are just non-parallell with the lesser degree of angle as possible? How important is symetry?
The square of the room will be approximately 4 metres by 4 metres and i'll angle the walls within that.
Also, if i was to double brick sections of the studio, is the density greater if they are pressed together or is there reduced sound transmission through the walls if there is some degree of airspace, or even again, should that airspace be filled with a high density material - maybe sand?

thanks.
url

Postby anj » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:12 pm

Check out this site heaps of useful info.

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
anj

Postby url » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:09 pm

cheers anj. i'll see what they say.
url

Postby rick » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:24 pm

in regard to air spaces there are all kinds of theorys but the bottom line is the spaces need to be absolutlely air tight , my studios have airtight empty voids as isolation, its works very well in some spots and other spots leave me wishing for monolithic sand filled nucleur bomb shelter linings

the bottom line here is are you wishing to keep your noise in
or stopping the outside noise from entering to you
it should be the same thing but it is not.

worry more about ceiling height then splayed walls
worry more about the air con then the angles .

and definately plan the room to have somewhere to put the computers to keep it all quiet

i have just started acoustic / studio consulting for a similar setup so maybe contact me with specifics if you need some help.
it wont be free but it will be worth it !
rick

Postby url » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:25 pm

thanks rick, since the studio will be suburban, i'm trying to keep sound from getting out. i'm pretty focused on using mud brick and there will be oppertunity's to double the bricks since i'll be building from scratch.

i'm going to set it for surround mixing primarily, the recording academy guide for surround says at least 11 feet for the ceilings.

thanks for the tips. do you have your studio set for surround mastering by any chance?
url

Return to The Turtlerock Forum