iLoks and the short end of the stick

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

iLoks and the short end of the stick

Postby TimC » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 pm

So as luck would have it, my ilok has stopped working properly..
It seems I will have to send my ilok to the US to get it fixed. That seems like the only way offered to get it fixed is to let ilok.com look at it. I cant seem to lodge a support ticket without requesting an RMA (which means I'm supposed to stop using my half good device and send it in)
Here is my gripe (apart from the ilok being a PITA) shouldn't a device sold locally through a authorised seller (ie not eBay) have a local warranty? Avid wont have anything to do with it because the problems lies with ilok, ilok only exist in the US...

Just in case you were wondering - my ilok works fine on 2009 MBPro (sometimes it wigs out), but has stopped working on my 2x 3Ghx Mac Pro altogether.. Lights up then dies..
Another iLok works just fine in that machine. It seems this issue came up after I added a new licence. Done all the software reinstalls etc

Has anyone else dealt with this sorta stuff? Talked to ilok?

Cheers,

Tim
t i m c u r n i c k
TimC

Re: iLoks and the short end of the stick

Postby headman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Why don't you Transfer your licence to a new iLok...it's a bit expensive but at least you will be able to continue working.

headman
headman

Postby Sammas » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I am pretty sure it is free to transfer licenses between iLoks registered to the same account.
Sammas

Postby Text_Edifice » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:26 pm

You still have to buy a second ilok but yes it's free to transfer to iloks within your account. Have done this a few times.

They're the most frustrating company to deal with from a customer support perspective – even their user management system fails to comply with browser standards. I totally appreciate the need for anti-piracy measures but they don't seem too concerned about making the process painless.
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby TimC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 am

headman wrote:Why don't you Transfer your licence to a new iLok...it's a bit expensive but at least you will be able to continue working.

headman

This is what I'll have to do, it seems

But pretty lame considering the ilok is 9 mths old.. (shoulda mentioned that) But if I took it back to the shop they would send it to the software distributor, who would in turn send it to avid who would in turn send it back to me and tell me to send it to ilok..
..but Australian consumer law says they should deal with it..

So should I fight it or cop it? Can probably borrow a Tools licence for the next couple of weeks.. plugins can wait..

Thanks fellas
t i m c u r n i c k
TimC

Postby audioio » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I've had to deal with this issue. The old ones that look like an early USB stick seem succeptible to connector damage. You should definitely not hang one directly off a USB connection; if it gets knocked, it'll likely sheer off (or cause enough damage to become faulty). Use a USB extension cable and tuck it away somewhere safe.

If you can get a new one, it'll hold 500 licences (instead of the earlier 128) and seems a lot more robust. (I'd still use the USB extension though.) If you can keep the old one working long enough to transfer your licences, you're fine.

Waves used to require proof that you ilok had been damaged before they'd give you new licenses. (That's why I had to deal with Pace back then.) They no longer do that and you can transfer freely.
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Damien » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 pm

i understand the grief and the issue.. but here is the real issue.

it doesnt matter what the legal aussie standpoint is no one other than ilok can fix the issue.

we sell iloks, we have had customers with issues, i have played the game with the importer, avid, ilok etc from a sellers point and the result.. back to ilok.

no one other than ilok can access the data.

if the ilok works on any computer, lok in and transfer the licenses to a new ilok before it stops working all together.

yes this sucks and you are forced into buying another ilok when you in theory already have one.

usually when the ilok has been returned they will find cracks/damage from it being bumped while plugged in, or squished in transport and the "issue" is end user damage. not a failure of the device.

end result, they plug it in, transfer the licenses and charge you a fee.. plus postage and a new ilok.

i hate them. we all have to use them. and now if you use waves you need a USB key as well as thy have dropped ilok. i want 1 key not 2 or more.....

the issue is if you take this up with aussie consumer affairs etc and you "win" no one other than ilok can help you anyway.

if it works transfer it before it dies, then you are forced to sent it to the states..

just my .02c.

oh yeah use a small usb extension lead (dongle buddy), this helps prevent busted iloks as they are not hanging off the computer, just flapping in the wind.
Damien Young
damienyoungmusic@gmail.com
0412 354 254
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Wiz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Damien wrote:i understand the grief and the issue.. but here is the real issue.

it doesnt matter what the legal aussie standpoint is no one other than ilok can fix the issue.

we sell iloks, we have had customers with issues, i have played the game with the importer, avid, ilok etc from a sellers point and the result.. back to ilok.

no one other than ilok can access the data.

if the ilok works on any computer, lok in and transfer the licenses to a new ilok before it stops working all together.

yes this sucks and you are forced into buying another ilok when you in theory already have one.

usually when the ilok has been returned they will find cracks/damage from it being bumped while plugged in, or squished in transport and the "issue" is end user damage. not a failure of the device.

end result, they plug it in, transfer the licenses and charge you a fee.. plus postage and a new ilok.

i hate them. we all have to use them. and now if you use waves you need a USB key as well as thy have dropped ilok. i want 1 key not 2 or more.....

the issue is if you take this up with aussie consumer affairs etc and you "win" no one other than ilok can help you anyway.

if it works transfer it before it dies, then you are forced to sent it to the states..

just my .02c.

oh yeah use a small usb extension lead (dongle buddy), this helps prevent busted iloks as they are not hanging off the computer, just flapping in the wind.

just a heads up... You dont have to have a USB key for waves plugins....

cheers
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Damien » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

unfortunately you do need a usb key for the the new V9 waves... older used ilok.. i have to use both for different aged items..
Damien Young
damienyoungmusic@gmail.com
0412 354 254
Damien
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:32 am

I've bought a few native Waves plugins lately when they've had sales, haven't needed a key or ilok.

Damien wrote:unfortunately you do need a usb key for the the new V9 waves... older used ilok.. i have to use both for different aged items..
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Wiz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:52 am

Kurt wrote:I've bought a few native Waves plugins lately when they've had sales, haven't needed a key or ilok.

Damien wrote:unfortunately you do need a usb key for the the new V9 waves... older used ilok.. i have to use both for different aged items..

yep

8)

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11997
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby TimC » Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Just an update on this in case you guys have to go through with it..

I was able to get licences off using a different computer, so bought a new iLok and kept working away..
I sent ilok to USA as per the RMA process on the site.
Fixed and sent back (I had to chase up as I didn't select "request complimentary ilok" - didnt think I had to)
Once I hit them up they fedex'd it to me in 3 days.
I had to pay postage AU -> US but not other way.
AVID AU offered me a free 30day licence if I needed it - to another ilok..

Now considering I now had another ilok, I should have returned it to the store (warranty) and they would have sent it back to avid who would have in turn sent it to ilok. This adds a few weeks to the process but means there would be no cost to me.

Got a brand new ilok 2 if anyone needs one!
t i m c u r n i c k
TimC

Postby Drumstruck » Mon May 20, 2013 9:44 am

I had a similar failure a few weeks ago - and perhaps it's worth putting in a warning:

I had the PT iLok on a USB hub (for ages) ..... connected a USB MIDI kb one day to a spare port on the hub ..... bzzzt - PT iLok dead. - so I suggest using a different USB port when running powered devices.

Purchased a new iLok, sent them my old iLok and purchased their recovery service - about $150 in all - about 2 weeks later the licences were available for download.

Used Reaper whilst PT was out of action, and have since getting PT going have made stems of everything in PT sessions in case it happens again. #:-s
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.