Drum samples

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

Drum samples

Postby andyforssman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Hey guys I have found myself replacing or blending a sampled snare drum in recent projects.

Currently i manually replace/blend using the tab to transient function in PT 10 with .wav samples.

I was wondering if there is there a good place to go to purchase acoustic drum samples?

I have searched and there seems to be a number of sites to download full kits and indivudual hits etc... any recomedations on which ones to look out for?

Cheers
Andy
andyforssman

Re: Drum samples

Postby chribble » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:18 pm

if you have the patience, try and pinch them from your favourite recordings.
Chr is Bradstre et
chribble
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Of course you would pay the negotiated sample licensing fee...

Surely anybody selling samples would have demos of their wares on their site wouldn't they?

If you buy Sonar it comes with "Session drummer" I've never used it but it does come with a heap of samples from several kits, in wav format. I'm sure other midi drum programs could be harvested in the same way.

chribble wrote:if you have the patience, try and pinch them from your favourite recordings.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby andyforssman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:05 pm

i assume the only way to do that is if there is a passage of the track where the snare is hit without any other parts of the kit or other intruments...
andyforssman

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 am

^^yes^^

It depends whether you are happy to trigger a single sample, or want more dynamics and timbre change. If the latter, you want to look at Trigger or Drumagog and their associated libraries.
If you are recording the drums you are later enhancing with samples, record snares and kicks in isolation with the drummer on the session.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Wiz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:35 am

ChrisW wrote:^^yes^^

It depends whether you are happy to trigger a single sample, or want more dynamics and timbre change. If the latter, you want to look at Trigger or Drumagog and their associated libraries.
If you are recording the drums you are later enhancing with samples, record snares and kicks in isolation with the drummer on the session.

thats what i do, record everything in isolation at the end, works best for me. I am not wanting to change the sound of the drums, I just recorded, I just want to fix my duff hits 8)
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Recording Drums?