New venture; Live @ Baha

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

New venture; Live @ Baha

Postby Chris H » Mon May 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Boy I'm excited! It's fantastic finding a way to move forward in the pursuit of something you love doing. Over the past 12 months i have been laying the groundwork for developing and locating a live recording
studio in the back room of a local Mexican restaurant and live music venue. Just after we moved into this coastal area I could see the potential and this little venue had a lot going for it. Moving forward to now and after two weeks solid work setting up the room, putting in the stage box splitts, wiring the patch bay etc, I have at last recorded my first bands. There is still a lot of work to do. I have put my vintage Audek console, mentioned in previous threads, in the room, and the results are very pleasing. Beautiful tone and full punchy recordings. For the first recording, I did Sydney band, Sticky Fingers, great young players with great songs, arrangements etc. I couldn't have picked a better band to start with.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: New venture; Live @ Baha

Postby Chinagraf » Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Sneaky b@stard! Baha has a great vibe, it's really taken off down there. One of my best friends lives in St Andrews and is friends with the owner. If I lived down there, that's the place I would have tried to get something like that going. Good work Chris. I hope it kicks on for you, and I will be jealous as hell..hah! (no but really, I will, we love it down there)
I will be hassling you next time we are down for the weekend.
Photos man...photos...
Last edited by Chinagraf on Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Chinagraf wrote:Sneaky b@stard. Baha has a great vibe, it's really taken off down there. One of my best friends lives in St Andrews and is friends with the owner. If I lived down there, that's the place I would have tried to get something like that going. Good work Chris.
I will be hassling you next time we are down for the weekend.
Photos man...photos...

Photo's......I'll shout you a beer when you are down. It would be great to see you....and bring a camera, as I have been reminded here more than once my photographic skills are lacking a bit of finesse!
Baha_On_Tap.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Chris H » Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 pm

...ok, ok....the desk in situ.

Audek @ Baha.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Chinagraf » Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 pm

That looks like a photo from a Lobby Loyde gig in the 70's.. :D
I'm excited by this whole thing. Give yourself a pat on the back for looking for an opportunity down there and making it happen.
That desk should just about keep the whole bar warm over winter as well.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 pm

It would have been great to have Lobby do a gig! :|
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Ben M » Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Love it Chris.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:54 pm

So, It's been coasting along quite nicely. Matty, the other engineer who works there and I have been doing quite a few recordings so I thought I would put the first fruits on soundcloud. Have a listen. I hope you enjoy the music because that's what it's all about! ....plus earning a bit of pocket money. :ar!
.......and at last after the hours of work, hoping and dreaming, I finally start to get an idea of what the old Audek really sounds like. So far, I'm quite pleased with the sounds.
Stickey Fingers:
http://soundcloud.com/hallamsound/stick ... -live-baha

The Brad Martin Project:
http://soundcloud.com/hallamsound/brad-martin
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Sounds good Chris. Desk is punchy for sure. I think I heard a taco in the second chorus.
Are you running room/audience mics? If so what? I've tried a few but haven't nailed anything I like yet.
Starting to think some Senny shotguns might be the go...
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Chinagraf wrote:Sounds good Chris. Desk is punchy for sure. I think I heard a taco in the second chorus.
Are you running room/audience mics? If so what? I've tried a few but haven't nailed anything I like yet.
Starting to think some Senny shotguns might be the go...

I used audience mics on the Stickey Fingers recording, 2 SM57's gaffered to the side of front foldback wedges :D
pointing out to the audience, compressed and gain automated to come up in the quiet sections. They are sitting under the rest of the mix adding a bit during the songs. One of the guys who was part of the crew on the Sheffield Remote setup swears by using two SM 57's either side of the stage roughly under or in line with the FOH speakers.
Interestingly when I used to do recordings at the Continental the ABC had some mic leads permanently wired in place for audience mics and they where on a lighting bar between the FOH speakers, just behind the front of the cabs. I used a pair of Gefell UMT 70S mics in fig 8 and i think it was the best result i ever got with room mics. They gave just about a perfect stage mix minus the vox and there was plenty of audience in them as the songs finished.
I still have the dats i used for those recordings somewhere.
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Chris H » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 am

Well a few months ago I wound up the recording setup at Baha. Without going into too much personal detail my business plan got derailed as early on, just after I set up my room. The other guy mixing there brought in his Ta@#$% A to D and started recording bands using the foh inserts direct outs at a budget that undercut my service. I tried to work him into an overall setup in a structured manner so we could maintain quality and good returns and he got a slice of the cake so it was a win / win. I also began offering the budjet console recording using my appogee's. It was hard enough to convince many of the bands of the advantages of high quality service from the beginning to end of the recording process and provide options that where costed fairly. After a few aggressive turf war type debates, I decided It wasn't worth the hassle and pulled the pin. In many respects it reflects the whole issue of diminishing recording budgets, bands playing one guy off against another to get the cheapest deal. These type of recordings mostly are not valued by the band and they then go and pay good money to overseas studios or some one here who has recently recorded a band that is a) is of a similar style they want and b) has made an impression with the punters.
The way I feel at the moment is sell the gear buy a bigger boat and away we go :ar!
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Chinagraf » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:16 am

Hey Chris, I was down there over the long weekend and was out the front on the Saturday arvo having a look, trying to see if I could see any of your gear. It's a bummer, but as you say it is kinda they way it has gone. I hear some stuff done around town for muso's I know, who can hear and should know better, yet they seem to think the stuff they've just recorded with some guy nobody's heard of sounds awesome. When I have a listen I can't believe anyone could think it sounds good.
You can't really fight that nor should you try I reckon. Life is waaaay too short.
I vote for the boat.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby gigpiglet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:04 pm

interesting reading this - while posting on the live recording budget thread…
could nearly merge the two.
;-)
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby The Tasmanian » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am

Hey Chris - sad to see such a great inhouse live setup have to stop.
Pity the venue cant come into a costs partnership with you, and then an be exclusive recording set up with a long term vision & plan.
Its such a loss to the industry of a valuable one off live recording set-up.
Recording technology & equipment is just not valued by a lot of artists. This proves itself over and over again.
I reckon you've realized a great vision, made it happen. Now its time to move on with your head held high.
Respect.

It seems our most tradeable asset we have these days are our skills and experience...our time.
But some things are just not worth giving our time to.... no matter how much we are into them, our time is better spent on bigger joys....

Id vote for getting a larger boat, sail away for a while - and keep the console!
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:15 pm

................. ha! reading back this thread I have just realised I took your advice Chris! Here is a pic of the larger boat Just after I got the mast up a few months ago.

New_Mast.jpg

and on our return journey from Queenscliff last weekend,

Homeward_Bound.jpg
Chris Hallam.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby The Tasmanian » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Good on you Chris!
Glad you kept both "boats"
Jealous.....
C h r i z t o w n o
The Tasmanian
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Mal » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:51 pm

"Interestingly when I used to do recordings at the Continental the ABC had some mic leads permanently wired in place for audience mics and they where on a lighting bar between the FOH speakers, just behind the front of the cabs. I used a pair of Gefell UMT 70S mics in fig 8 and i think it was the best result i ever got with room mics. They gave just about a perfect stage mix minus the vox and there was plenty of audience in them as the songs finished.
I still have the dats i used for those recordings somewhere.[/quote]

True..came in very handy..the nice people at the Continental (the Mario's) even cut a little flap at the back of the stage
so we could run our multicore down to the OB van outside...and they gave us dinner..!
Mal Stanley
Presenter/Producer 'Jazztrack'
Recording Engineer/Producer
ABC Jazz/ABC RN
Southbank Melbourne
Mal

Return to The Turtlerock Forum