Altec 620 Speaker Cabinets

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Altec 620 Speaker Cabinets

Postby Paul Maybury » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi, I am planning to buy some Great Plains Audio (Altec) 604 8 E drivers and crossovers to build some new main monitors for my new control room.
I want to use Altec 620 cab plans. There are a few variations of this cab, I think, not sure which one to go with.
Does anyone know a good speaker cab builder in Melbourne who can do the carpentry?
I know several regular building type builders who could do it but I want to make sure there is no error when it comes to these so I thought someone with experience in building high quality cabs would be better.
They don't have to have a furniture grade finish, but I guess it would be nice to have a hardwood veneer rather than paint as the finish.
Any other general tips about speaker cab building would be appreciated.
I have looked around the Altec forums etc, but most of the threads concerning builds for these drivers are about builds for listening rooms for audiophile types, rather than as a main studio monitor.
I will be keeping my Altec 604 8 g's for use in the tracking room. It's incredibly useful to have such high quality, loud and immersive sound available in a live room. Playback, re amping, overdubbing without cans, turning the room into an echo chamber etc. The point source Altec 604's are ideal.
Cheers
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Altec 620 Speaker Cabinets

Postby Hookemeister » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi Paul,

so you've got the 604 addiction!

I'd suggest find a cabinet maker not a builder.

I have looked around the Altec forums etc, but most of the threads concerning builds for these drivers are about builds for listening rooms for audiophile types, rather than as a main studio monitor.

Same principles and construction methods should apply.
Greg Hooke
Hookemeister
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Paul Maybury » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks Greg, I am definitely hooked on the 604. Always loved Tannoys, but when I heard the Altec for the first time....that was it. I can't go back now.
I will scout around for a cabinet maker. The 620 cab plans are well documented and have a known result, so it should be pretty easy. Fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby audioio » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:55 pm

David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 am

for a larger speaker like this, i would brace the insides (ie. re inforce with wood frames, in parts of the speaker)
obviosly seal the insides completely using latex caulking (not silicone as even residual silicone cold be damaging to speakers in the long run). Ensure that the design you've settled on has an internal volume large enough to satisfy the driver manufacturers minimum recommended requirments for volume....just looking at the ebay thing, im pretty sure they do, but just do the math and make sure they are AT LEAST 3/4 to all of that volume.
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Paul Maybury » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips.
I am leaning towards either Baltic Birch ply or marine ply, 3/4" based on Altec 620 b plans with extra bracing.
I settled on the GPA 604 8H III drivers with GPA crossovers, rather than the more expensive Alnico 604 8 E.
jkhuri44 , was it you that built the full range driver monitors recently? How are they working out for you?

That set of 604 8g's on ebay look nice, I wonder how much they will go for? I bet they have worked hard and could do with a re furb..
Cheers,
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:14 pm

paul, i was supposed to build them 3 months ago, but i broke my elbow! still recovering. af friend in the states built them, and is loving them. They are highly directional, but have amazing range, he reports.
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Paul Maybury » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Jk, sorry to hear about the elbow!
I would very curious to hear those speakers.
Cheers,
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.