Overheads

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

Re: Overheads

Postby jasound » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 am

Love the Decca tree.
But I wouldn't use it for oh duties. Unless the kit was 15 foot wide and 10 deep.
I'd go MS if you wanted depth and spread.
An AB omni pair is great with a balanced player.
jasound

Postby walding » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Chinagraf wrote:It's okay I found a pic of it..
terry_bozzio_kit.jpg

Only one snare = fail..
Mark Ludwig

SHould of been a drummer
walding
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Was trying a pair of ribbons as overheads last night (Blumlein) - only 2 feet above the kit but the input gain on the desk is up to 10 - lucky it goes to 11...... sounded quite nice but too much toms / not enough cymbals.... think I'll try them as underheads tonight
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Drumstruck wrote:..... too much toms / not enough cymbals....

That's gotta be a good thing!
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Drumstruck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Chris H wrote:

I'm guessing you're a "tom" sort of guy Chris ;-)

atm I'm hunting for a certain cymbal sound - my condensors are a little too bright / ribbons a little too dull / dynamics deployed around the rest of the kit - searching for the compromise solution but I think the answer is a mic that starts with U........
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Drumstruck wrote:
Chris H wrote:

I'm guessing you're a "tom" sort of guy Chris ;-)

atm I'm hunting for a certain cymbal sound - my condensors are a little too bright / ribbons a little too dull / dynamics deployed around the rest of the kit - searching for the compromise solution but I think the answer is a mic that starts with U........

Yes, ...though my comment was more inspired by the many occasions I have suffered through cymbal bashing washing out an otherwise good recording. Getting well played cymbals right in focus and detail though is a real treat so I'm with you there! Well worth the effort of hours of experimentation. The Avalon 747 has been my friend in that regard, particularly the super high 32 k fader does beutifull things over the overheads.
Hmm....now those U thingys you mentioned ?..... there's 3 of them ....... U as in 87 still has a bit of a boost in the top end. U as in 67 could be very nice. There is one in the draw that needs work done on the capsule so I havent heard one for years but if memory serves me i think they could be the ticket. U as in 47, I have never had any experience with. A mic that starts with K might be worth a try... ... ..as in KM85 or the 84, but 85 would have less toms, if you haven't already given them a go? A lot cheaper in price than those U's too but a very nice sounding mic. They are definitley smoother in the top end than many other condensors yet still have the detail.
You can borrow my pair to give them a shot. Let me know.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Drumstruck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:18 pm

My goodness, what a kind offer and what a fine gent you are - I'm humbled and thankyou. I have long liked the KM84s.

fyi I have a pair of Little Blondies (woodies) that someone referred too as a "poor man's KM85" - they are quite nice, but sound a little sterile through my console pres - so I'll be testing them through various vintage pres for a bit of tubey / germanium softness.....

Those U' microphones.... I'd like any of the numbers you mentioned.... a pair would be even nicer and I can dream in the meantime whilst they sit in the queue behind my current desire - a Wernick mallet :x
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Paul Maybury » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Drumstruck, what dynamic mics do you have?
I have had great results from EV Re 20's and Senn 421's for OH's (not the series II though, way too bright).
This might give you what you want.
I like my Sony C38b's or Beyer M160's. the Sony's are much flatter response than most condensers, the closest thing to an M49 I have heard, no "U" mic comes close for my ears, but maybe I haven't heard well sorted ones.. Like the M49 the Sony's sound big and flattering but still real, if you know what I mean.
The Beyer are not too dull ribbons that are easy to focus on the bits you want with positioning. With good eq you can pour on as much high end as you like.
Cheers,
Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 am

G'day Paul,

I agree about dynamics - in my setup they are the best option - condensors generally pick up too much ambient noise (the ocean, the tractor across the road etc).

Dynamics I have and where they're set currently:
2 x Heil PR40s - one on hats / one testing in different positions as OH
2 x MD441s - one on snare / one on ride
2 x RE320s - BDs outside but moving to BD inside tonight
2 x SM57s - these are for sale to help fund a pair of M88s

The 2 x Little Blondies (omni) and last night's tests deserve a little story of their own....

test 1/ through a ferrograph tube pre (series 4 / 2-channel / C1964) and the sound is very close to what I'm after
- a little crystally and overall really warm - very happy with this as a room sound

test 2/ through an Elcom germanium pre (2-channel / C1960) - the result was totally unexpected
- I was searching for "the cymbal sound" and found "the tom sound"
- the best way I can describe it is "round, warm and mellow" - I was astounded and am still grinning

So tonight's plan is to repeat the tests using a pair of NT1s for OH in XY and AB positions - hopefully I'll get time to try the AWA BAR pres also (germanium / late '50s)....

Perhaps I should do some recording, but then you guys would get to hear me playing..... x_x
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 am

Resurrecting this discussion....

I got a pair of sE R1 (ribbons) a few days ago and have been trying them as overheads - they're really nice and I could get away with using just them and no spot mics for a wholistic kit sound.

fyi they're going cheap at Andertons (UK) - see their website - no VAT for us and only 20quid freight.
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to Recording Drums?