Roland Jupiter 4 io - problems midi - resetting patches?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Roland Jupiter 4 io - problems midi - resetting patches?

Postby harry » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey Guys,

I know quite a few people here have modded their Ju4's with the io kit,

I finally got round to using it on a session:

when I have it connected to the computer via midi in and out - it goes crazy, all patches reset to short notes (I think there is a bug with the page 2 functions),

When I only feed it a midi via it's midi in, it works and receives midi notes - as soon as I hit stop and press play again, it does not respond anymore - driving me crazy?

So to summarize - when a midi cable is plugged in it's presets go funny, switching on/off and removing midi cables solves this and it behaves ok - can't seem to get it to work with midi
Can anyone confirm that their io thing works correctly? Not sure whats going on here... in the middle of a session looking rather red-faced..
Harry
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Roland Jupiter 4 io - problems midi - resetting patches?

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Harry, the Io defaults to having the midi thru turned on, which comes out the midi out. You need to turn it of with a sysex message or controller but I can't remember which one or the value, it's in the user guide somewhere. This might be the cause of the problem?
Maybe?
Last edited by Chinagraf on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm

From the manual -
"As default after power on, the MIDI Out also serve as MIDI Thru. This soft Thru can be switched off with controller message CC 127 and switched back with CC 126."
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby harry » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Hey Andy,

Yeah thanks for that suggestion - that would have caused the feedback thing..?

I think the other problem is that the 'Page' 2 functions are global to the controller board and they default to weird settings and mess with the presets, I tried the 'blankio.mid' file - the Ju4 seemed to have read it but it is still acting weird,

How do your presets behave?
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:59 pm

Hey Harry, yes, the midi soft thru would cause a loop problem. Mine goes nuts if I have out and in connected and use midi without it turned off. Quite a good sound...
The presets, do you mean your user stored presets or the instruments ones, like the funky violin etc..?
I don't really store presets, I pretty much run in manual mode and just twist knobs and sliders till I get what I'm after, so I haven't seen any issues. Mine starts with all settings exactly as when I stopped the daw. Have you tried it in manual mode to see if the problem goes away?
I can check it out tomorrow when I'm back in the studio if you like.
So if I understand it right, when using one of your user stored presets (I'm assuming) via midi, you hit stop and it all loses your settings for that patch?
Don't you use Cubase? It could be the host, there is a setting somewhere in Cubase's midi setup where there is a checkbox to send an all off messages every time the daw stops. Maybe this could be causing the problem, bit of a long shot.
The most annoying way I can think of to test this is to run midi and while it's still playing unplug the 'midi in' cable before you stop the daw. Then after hitting stop, plug the cable back in so no "on stop" messages get received by the JP, and hit play again. If the problem goes it may be something coming from your host, be it Cubase or some other program.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:53 pm

HI Harry, mines seems fine, I can go to user presets stored in any bank and it plays back fine via midi and doesn't reset the patch when I stop.
The midi thing in Cubase I was talking about is in
Preferences > MIDI > second checkbox from top called "Reset on stop".
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:38 am

Man, MIDI can be a pita. On completely different equipment I had exactly the same occurence yesterday!!

I think the root cause was that I sent MIDI CC data from a keyboard and it reset my console to zero on everything digital (and I mean everything - faders, aux etc). It even saved the changes on the template (luckily, I keep locked copies of each template and just reloaded it).

So I'd guess that there's a CC soft switch somewhere in the MIDI path leading to your kb Harry - just guessing that is :-B
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby harry » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for your reply guys,

Somehow I checked and unchecked boxes and it now seems to work correctly (no feedback loop) and the presets don't change.. seems to be okay - can't say I know why at this stage.. will have to dig into the manual for the io a bit more.,
Harry
harry
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum