Help, I fried my Virus TI

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Help, I fried my Virus TI

Postby Julian Nichols » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Long and painful story short, this morning I accidentally fed my Virus TI Snow 24v instead of 12v.

I quickly realised the mistake, but the damage was done. When I plugged the 12v lead in, the white LED glowed faintly for a few seconds then went dark, and that's the last sign of life that I have been able to get out of it.

I'm wondering if any of you could identify what I should be testing on this board. I'm not sure if there is a fuse, my knowledge of identifying components isn't great. I have an iron, multimeter, desolderer, etc. And I'm currently working on a hybrid digital/analog synth (Mutable Instruments Struthi) which is testing out OK, so I have some basic electronics experience.

Failing that, any recommendations as to who might be able to repair this? I don't need it urgently, thankfully I had rendered all of the stems I needed to audio - a good thing because the deadline for this track that I'm working on is today!

Here's some photos of the board, power input at bottom right hand corner. Any advice gladly received :ymhug:

EDIT : The forum has cut the right hand side of the top picture off, but you can see the power input and surrounds in the bottom photo.
Julian Nichols, South West WA
Julian Nichols

Re: Help, I fried my Virus TI

Postby Thirteen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Once the 12V goes into a Virus D (which I think is the TI), it goes past a pair of back to back ESD protection zeners, a 4007 reverse polarity protection diode, a couple of filter caps and then straight into the analog circuitry at 12V. It is also converted by IC134 to 5V, by another circuit into 8.4V and yet another into 3.3V as well as a further circuit to supply CPU startup timing so there is quite a bit going on in the power supply section. You would need to check and see if all of these voltages are present with the correct adaptor connected and if not to fix the damaged power supply element. If the voltages are correct then there would be damage further down the line.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to D.I.Y.