yamaha dx27 - worth fixing?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

yamaha dx27 - worth fixing?

Postby rightintheface » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:41 am

Picked one up a while back in ok/average condition, would it be worth getting this thing up and running? From what I understand they are the lower range version of the dx7. Here's a kind of list of problems:

- power supply is intermittent at the socket (needs to be wiggled to switch on, then turns off when it moves)
- three or four keys have obviously been leaning on something and have bent in, which makes them jam a bit
- had the "chg ram battery" message, I managed to get a spare one in their no problems

So not a tonne of things, but is this worth investing time into? Any worthy sounds in these little old brown boxes?
Mitch Catterall
Down The Rabbit Hole
rightintheface

Re: yamaha dx27 - worth fixing?

Postby Futureman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:14 am

The power socket probably just needs to be resoldered.
You can buy replacement keys
Replace battery.

Is it worth it?

Only you can decide that.. If it was me, I would. The only challenge is getting some keys, and ebay is great for that.
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby headman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 pm

It has 4 operators (the DX7 has 6) so it's a bit thin and reedy and you can't get that great percussive sound that DX7's have. All FM synths are hard to program, there are editors out there that can make it easier though.

Fix it up for sure, keys aren't that hard to find but be careful when you replace them, the contact in the keybed is fragile.

headman
headman

Postby justmull » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Everyone needs at least one FM synth. How else are you going to get that great slap bass sound (admittedly not quite as good on the 4OP as on the 6OP DX's). Or the zany Celeste or soothing Flute? Plus they get really wild when you do start to program them. I used to have a DX21 but now have a DX100 mapped to a midi knob box and its great fun!
J-u-s-t-i-n M-u-l-l-i-n-s
https://justinmullins.com.au/
justmull

Postby NYMo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:04 am

IMO , just go with a 6 OP Dx !

Cheers
John nymo Nyman
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum