CSD/THD driver testing.

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

CSD/THD driver testing.

Postby jkhuri44 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 pm

is anyone familiar with any sources of 3rd party driver testing?
there is a huge amount of speaker builders and projects out there, with a disproportionate amount of tests shared.
where i s some of the most important information possible for audio ...hiding? ;-)

so far i have tests conducted by Zaph audio, audio heuristics, and trollsgravesen...
but that's about it....
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: CSD/THD driver testing.

Postby zenelectro » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:00 am

jkhuri44 wrote:is anyone familiar with any sources of 3rd party driver testing?
there is a huge amount of speaker builders and projects out there, with a disproportionate amount of tests shared.
where i s some of the most important information possible for audio ...hiding? ;-)

so far i have tests conducted by Zaph audio, audio heuristics, and trollsgravesen...
but that's about it....

Here are some more pro type drivers.

https://sites.google.com/site/drivervau ... asurements

What are you thinking of building?

cheers
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby jkhuri44 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:13 pm

what am i NOT thinking of building :P
i've just finished a single full range driver project which sounds amazing. (my first hi fi/monitor grade project)
want to try the same speaker /next generation model supplemented with a subwoofer in each channel....so sort of like a 2 way , but a little different (crossover being way lower)
also, stand alone subwoofer.
and much further down the track a larger scale 3 way active triamped monitor system.
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby zenelectro » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:51 pm

jkhuri44 wrote:what am i NOT thinking of building :P
i've just finished a single full range driver project which sounds amazing. (my first hi fi/monitor grade project)
want to try the same speaker /next generation model supplemented with a subwoofer in each channel....so sort of like a 2 way , but a little different (crossover being way lower)
also, stand alone subwoofer.
and much further down the track a larger scale 3 way active triamped monitor system.

Great!

Which full range driver did you use. I've been through a few myself.
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby jkhuri44 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Mark Audio alpair 10.2
Absolutely incredible sound, never heard a better single driver!
what have u tried?
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby zenelectro » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:44 am

jkhuri44 wrote:Mark Audio alpair 10.2
Absolutely incredible sound, never heard a better single driver!
what have u tried?

I've only owned a few older Goodmans FR drivers but know quite a few ppl who run various.
I actually ended ed up with a 2 way: Goodmans Axiom 201 12" - and AMT1 (Heil) on top.
Then I figured the Heil was always going to be better than the 201's wizzer so I cut the wizzer cone off :)
Still not satisfied I swapped the Goodmans 201 for Altec 414 (alnico). Not a bad pairing but there doesnt seem
to be many drivers that can keep up with a Heil AMT. Next I'll try an AE TD12M / X (acoustic elegance) - when I
get some dough. These are just the play around speakers.

The Mark Audio drivers look very nice - I was actually considering a pair of 12P (8") for an onstage acoustic guitar
amp (like an AER type of thing).

Of all the full range drivers I've heard, definitely the best are Goodmans Axiom 80. Many feel it's the best full
range driver ever made. Very expensive though if you can find 'em.
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby jkhuri44 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:40 am

nice one, AE drivers "look" nice...but there's no info on them from the manufacturer, pretty poor imo.
dont see what a driver co has to hide if they've made a good product by not providing any information on it whatsoever besides marketing drivel. i was considering them as subs, but then thought why i should use them if all thats online is talk....manufacturers need to offer data if they are honestly selling "good" and 'hi performance" products.

Mark Audio guitar speaker sounds, nice, i would be a tad scared using that live but if you dont blow it, that will be pretty awesome acoustic guitar speaker haha.
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby zenelectro » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:59 pm

WRT AE - I think it's a very small company, originally called Lambda and was taken over. The new owner is extremely
knowledgeable but possibly not so good as a business person (at a guess). I've seen measurements of these
drivers and the distortion specs are in amplifier territory. Also where they really excel is multi tone IM - very
very clean. This is also where the Heil / AMT 'ribbon' excels, not so much just harmonic distortion but complex
material - so the AE should be a great match for the Heil.
dont see what a driver co has to hide if they've made a good product by not providing any information on it whatsoever besides marketing drivel. i was considering them as subs, but then thought why i should use them if all thats online is talk....manufacturers need to offer data if they are honestly selling "good" and 'hi performance"
products.

Yes - I has same reservations so I did my own research and have spoken to a few owners. It looks like they are
indeed the real deal, especially with the 'Apollo upgrade'
Mark Audio guitar speaker sounds, nice, i would be a tad scared using that live but if you dont blow it, that will be pretty awesome acoustic guitar speaker haha.

Yep, power handling is a concern.
However after having a few dozen of these usual stage amps across the workbench and seeing how cheap /
marginal the Chinese speakers in them are, the Alpair 12P starts to look pretty robust :)

Q - What cabinets are you using for the 10.2's, what is the LF performance / extension like?

cheers
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby jkhuri44 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:16 pm

on the mark audio website, look at the Golden Ratio enclosure.
with a small port.
The bass extension is sub like....no one can believe it is a single driver. goes down to 30 quite comfortably. under that is hit and miss haha. I would like to experiment with TL or horn to see how good they are, i dont believe they are good for electronic or bass heavy music, id like to be proven wrong tho!
As mentioned, best single driver i've ever heard!
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby jkhuri44 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:47 pm

interested in seeing those AE tests with or without apollo mods if you have a link
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Return to D.I.Y.