LCD oscilloscopes for audio

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

LCD oscilloscopes for audio

Postby Thirteen » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:57 pm

Does anyone have experience with the current generation of digital LCD oscilloscopes? I have found CRT digital scopes to be pretty poor for audio work due to the lack of the data found in "the cloud" on analogue LCD scopes so I assume that LCD/TFT screens will be even worse but it's getting hard to find good used analogue scopes with voltage/time readouts, the big Tektronics CRO's are getting pretty old.

There seem to be many reasonably cheap colour digital scopes with 7 inch colour screens available now, I am interested in trying one but I assume that the refresh rate of LCD/TFT screens will be too slow to display the subtle data that is visible on CRT's. Does anyone have any comments?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Re: LCD oscilloscopes for audio

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:39 pm

I picked up a CRO last week from Cro-Tek at a very good price.He has both LCD and CRT and could also advise on what's best for what your needs are.
http://www.dragongenerators.com.au/crotek/
I got a refurbished and calibrated Tektronix 2235 100MHz Dual channel with warranty for $275.
An absolute bargain for such a good CRO, and it looks like it's hardly had any use, near mint condition .
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Re: LCD oscilloscopes for audio

Postby Thirteen » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks Alastair, I'l go take a look there.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to D.I.Y.