Revived DIY bantam bays

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Revived DIY bantam bays

Postby dave01.cooper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Hey all

Thought I'd share the patchbay journey had over the last few months or so.
Dave McCluney from Atlantis had 6 of these old 96 point bantam bays that he was getting rid of that he'd ripped out of a telco install. Got them for a steal so thanks again Dave!
2 had no housing and slightly bent but the other 4 were in great condition not to mention that each ground, hot & cold point are wire wrapped rather than solder, push or gas points. The main issue was that they were all connected to some large old molex style connector (connector name eludes me now) so thought that the best way to interface with gear now & future would be to fit db25's on each bank of 8. So that's exactly what we did!

Here's a couple of how they looked:

Custom cut out some back blank 1RU plates with angle grinder/swearing/dremel/swearing/drill press/swearing, added individual grounds to each point rather than common ground and soldered + heat shrink to each db point. These are now some serious items that will never skip a beat. Can patch with confidence now knowing them all back to front. Only gripe about them is that the normalling bars are either snipped or not so once done, can re do but a down right pain in the ass. Has worked out ok so far though signal flow wise
BAY 1: LR ties normal to Soundtrac mic ins
BAY 2: external mic pre's not normalled to anything
BAY 3: Soundtrac tape outs normal to Lynx ins
BAY 4: Lynx outs normal to Soundtrac tape ins

Has been a slow and painful process but in doing so have saved thousands in new patchbays so happy to be done with it and start getting patch happy.

Anyway here's some pics of the revived model:

Oh and please mind my terrible dremel hand writting, that shit is hard to keep still!!!

Next DYI task is 2 mono & 4 stereo SSL E EQ modules to rack. Housing almost done, just gotta get the balancing cards off Joe & solder away

Cheers!
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Revived DIY bantam bays

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 am

Cool work there Dave.

fyi those old connectors are called Centronics (25pin) or SCSI centronics (50pin).... (there are also Honda centronics for those who are connector obsessed)
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Linear » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 am

Hey,

I've got 5 of these that someone can take for free if they want...

Pickup for free in Leichhardt...

Chris
Chris Vallejo
Linear Recording
http://www.linear-recording.com.au
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby audioio » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm

I think Rutledge in Melbourne (Soundcorp's install arm) used to make bays with Centronics connectors.
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby dave01.cooper » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:27 am

That's the one, centronix. Cheers guys.

Chris - from the photo I saw yours aren't metal jack points or wire wrapped internals no? Any details on them would be great.

Not sure what telco install they came from but was in melbourne so quite possibly soundcorp/rutledge.

Dave
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.