Guitar Clearout

This is the place to advertise gear YOU OWN that's for sale, for hire or gear you'd like to own.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Guitar Clearout

Postby wez » Tue May 29, 2007 8:27 pm

i'm thinning the herd out a bit.... although these are actually some of my favourite go-to instruments. get in before i change my mind (which i've been known to do). photos available for serious buyers.

--------

Maton CW80 12-string Vintage 1980 excellent condition fishman pickup pro setup. you know these are in another league compared to new Matons. Includes Hiscox pro case worth $400. $1600

Carson-Crickmore C2 Dreadnaught APM pickup/preamp system, mostly home & studio use, hand built in 1999 by Phil Carson Crickmore, one of only 5 made. AAA grade spruce, Tasmanian fiddleback blackwood. Hiscox case. this is the nicest guitar i have ever played. similar guitar from Carson-Crickmore today costs around $4k. $2500

Fender Stratocaster Plus 1991 Black, maple neck gold Lace Sensor pickups, original case, updated to improved LSR roller nut (original Wllkinson roller nut included) superb condition never gigged studio/home use only. The most strat-like sounding strat i've owned. $1500
Last edited by wez on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Tue May 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Being the owner of a number of Matons from mid-late 50's through to early Y2K vintage, including CW80/12 Ser., #275 Manufactured 4/69, I find your opinion of later Matons somewhat strange.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby wez » Wed May 30, 2007 1:49 pm

i have never played a new maton - with the exception of a messiah, and possibly the A80 Australian in front of me now - that sounded, played, looked or felt like the older instruments. this is my opinion and i stand by it most strongly. newer matons (made in approx the last 10 years) are not as good as older matons. every time i pick one up i put it back pretty quickly. i get the same vibe as i do from new fenders.

your (and others) opinion may well vary. this is mine.
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby philly » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Ive got an EAC 80 Australian.. Ive never used the pickup (spit!) but its a fantastic recording guitar. Has a lovely naturally compressed bottom end ( think simon and garfunkel ) its about 12 years old now and just gets better . its also got a nitro finish which has turned a lovely burnt amber over time... just like the tone!
I bought it from a little shop in Five Dock i think.. I had the choice of Lowdens...Taylors and allsorts and I chose this one. The mainstream matons are pretty ordinary I believe but they are actually capable of making a decent guitar.
What I would do in your shoes is wait a while until you could afford a Gerard Gilet. They are among the best guitars you can buy in the whole world and they are made here and they are made now. This country doesnt know we have people like that producing stuff of that quality. ( I have no association etc.. but i have met him a few times). Other than that , believe it or not Fender is making fantastic stuff in China at the moment .. well woth a look.
Anyway ..hope this helps and let us know what you get.
philly

Postby Mark Bassett » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:59 pm

I also know of a guy who makes guitars if he likes you, thinks you're a serious musician and will actually appreciate the work he puts in (READ: I heap of cash will not guarantee you a guitar) who lives in a small town south of port macquarie. His guitars shite over all but the very best matons, or any other acoustic i've ever played. Among other things he's made an acoustic bass for flea. World class guitars, he makes about 2 a year.
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Ausrock » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Is Wez looking to replace these guitars (I didn't think so), or just reduce the number of guitars he has.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby wez » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:48 pm

yep not looking for anything new (although i would like a 335), the carson crickmore is a hand built guitar in the same vein as the others mentioned.

too many guitars, not enough time.

the strat is in the guitar emporium if anyone wants to check it out.
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Ausrock » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:33 pm

wez wrote:too many guitars, not enough time.

Hmmmm..............know the feeling all too well............but I wouldn't sell ours for quids.
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby chris p » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:11 am

wez wrote: the carson crickmore is a hand built guitar in the same vein as the others mentioned.

I heard one for the first time yesterday, being played by the in-house entertainment at a Greek coffee shop in Brisbane's north. Lovely bright sound but good solid resonance, cut through the background traffic noise nicely. Like most guitars, you'll still likely have to listen to a few of the same model to get the one that sounds magic, but I was quite impressed.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to For Sale / For Hire / Gear Wanted