Roland Aira report

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Roland Aira report

Postby Thirteen » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Not a vintage synth of course, but I just attended the launch in Sydney of the Roland Aira range for those who may be interested. I had heard good reports about the TR-8 and wanted to hear it first hand, along with the other devices in the family. I have to say that I was completely impressed. It's the first time that I have heard a digital modelled version of a classic that I think matches and exceeds the original. It blew me away. I won't go into the features as there are plenty of videos on the web, but to hear the TR-8 through a big PA with no EQ or compression side by side with an original TR-909 was what I had been waiting for, and the TR-8 nailed it. And it will be cheap to boot.

I actually think that owners of original TR-808's and 909's will buy this machine to take out live so that they can leave their classics safely at home. Totally worth checking out once they hit the stores. I am happy to give Roland a plug here because they have come out of left field and come up with a digital device that is better in my opinion than the analogue original, their engineers deserve kudos for something this unexpected, I think that they have a really interesting new technology here. The other devices (TB-3, VT-3 and a prototype System-1) also were seriously impressive. I don't know the exact street price but the numbers I heard mentioned were crazy cheap, not too far above the little analog boxes that Korg have been making such a killing with. This is a great time to be into electronic music hardware, there is so much sub-$600.00 cool gear coming out, it's a nice change from being tethered to a laptop.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Re: Roland Aira report

Postby Sammas » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:17 pm

It is funny you mention that. I met Andy Bull last week. He was rehearsing for the product launch and had a bunch of AIRA kit with him. Lovely bloke! He gave me a quick demo of the TR-8. It is impressive, particularly given the price range being mentioned!
Sammas

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks for the report. :)
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Lee » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:55 pm

I also attended the launch and was also impressed. I didn't even realize but at one point he was switching between the original 909 and the TR-8 and it was so similar that if he didn't tell us i wouldn't have known. I thought i would only be interested in the TR-8 but the other products especially the synth was amazing. What i liked about the system-1 was that when he turned the filter there were no artifacts making it sound really smooth.

Really cool products and cheap! Here is the link-
http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/products/p ... aspx?c=573
Lee McDonald
"A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other's"
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Cymatics » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:52 pm

Nice to hear that it's good! I can't wait to try one out.
Cymatics

Postby Thoughtlab » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Thanks for providing your feedback on these Steve.

They sound really great and am looking forward to checking one out some day soon.
Thoughtlab

Postby Futureman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 pm

Ordered my TR-8 from Awave a few weeks ago.. Arrives tomorrow.

Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

First new bit of kit I've bought in ages.. Maybe decades! (except for the odd guitar pedal)
Mike de Vrees

Purveyor of old stuff
Futureman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:35 pm

I've had mine for about a month.
It has some quirks.
I'm liking it though.
(Still haven't sent the Eventide yet :( I'll try and get on to it before the end of the week).
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum