Introduction

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Introduction

Postby Accidental Engineer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Hope I'm in the right spot to do this...Just got registered for the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself - I'm Andrew.

As my forum name indicates, I never set out specifically to be an audio engineer (& I don't really consider myself to be one now). Guitar was my first love - been playing for 38 years now, and ventured into home recording along the way.

My first recordings were in the mid/late 70's on portable cassette recorders. In the early 80's, I managed to make my first "multitrack" recording on an Akai Double-Cassette with dubbing. A friend bought a Yamaha MT1X 4 track around '86, and invited me to overdub some guitar on it. Around '89, I recorded a track on another friend's Fostex 1/4" 8 Track Reel to Reel. I was pretty much hooked then, but didn't get my own Yamaha multi-tracker until around '92, followed by a Roland VS880EX in '95 (which I still have, along with those wonderful 250Mb Zip drives).

I made quite a few demos of my own stuff, but didn't really get the serious engineering bug until I got my first computer based system around 2006. At that time, I built myself a little home studio setup (rather acoustically ill-conceived in hindsight) in my shed, & collected a bit of gear to record with.

Oddly enough, once I started to develop a few recording & mixing skills after a fairly intensive period of study, I got some requests from others to start mixing/recording their stuff, which has meant that my own personal recordings have had to take a back seat...hence the title "Accidental Engineer"

...probably a familiar story to some in a similar situation here, I'd imagine.

Anyhow... glad to be here, hoping to learn lots!
Accidental Engineer

Re: Introduction

Postby rick » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 am

Welcome andrew
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby Accidental Engineer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:45 pm

rick wrote:Welcome andrew

Thanks for the welcome, Rick - I always enjoyed your column in AT... I also miss Andy Stewart's articles too.
Accidental Engineer

Postby Manning » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Ditto, welcome Andrew.

Was a very enjoyable read, your story is almost word-for-word identical to mine. (although I only started playing guitar in 1979, so I'm a mere 35 years)
Manning Bartlett, Studio Laughing Duck, Glenorie NSW
http://www.studiolaughingduck.com
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Accidental Engineer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:11 pm

Manning wrote:Ditto, welcome Andrew.

Was a very enjoyable read, your story is almost word-for-word identical to mine. (although I only started playing guitar in 1979, so I'm a mere 35 years)

Thanks Manning - Cool...yeah, all those years playing... I should be better by now!
Accidental Engineer

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.