5U modulars in Australia - Favourite modules

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

5U modulars in Australia - Favourite modules

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:09 pm

As a user of synthesisers.Com modular gear I am curious as to whether there are many modular users on the forum who have 5U systems or a mixture of 5U and Eurorack. I am interested in anyone's opinions on favourite 5U modules, my system is completely .com but I would like to look at other manufacturers, particularly LFO's as .com doesn't make a dedicated LFO module, it gets expensive using VCO's for LFO duty, although they certainly are powerful for the job. I am also looking at the idea of machining out a couple of blank panels to be able to mount some small monitor speaker modules in there to provide quick monitoring of patches.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Re: 5U modulars in Australia - Favourite modules

Postby headman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:02 pm

NYMO's the one with the big 5 unit system, lots of different manufactures in his mix.
He sold me some dotcom components for a 22 space system...it has grown to 44 now. I have two STG mixers; they are just fantastic for getting that "Moog" overload sound from oscillators. I also have some Krisp built Oakley VCO's, VCA and EG's that are also worth a look. he makes a dual and quad LFO as does SSL.

I really have to stop, but it's so much fun!!!!

headman
headman

Postby Thirteen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Richard, I will go look up some of those modules.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby headman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I forgot MegaOhm, i have one of his filters, based on a Korg Delta, and if you have the cash Synth Werk make perfect(?) clones of all the original Moog modules

headman
headman

Postby we88 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:37 pm

so where does one start with 5U in Oz. i.e. power supplies etc? I've been thinking about it but it seems a lot more difficult here than euroland
Lindsay Webb

www.actualrussianbrides.com
we88

Postby headman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:14 pm

you just buy them from dotcom, it's not a long wait for Texas to here. STG also sell a board. Go to his site and there is a program called synth invent you make up a small system, pay and he sends it to you, by that time you have built a cabinet. Then you can start buying modules from other 5U makers...it's easy!!!!
The big news is from Moog; exact copies of KE's modular for those with more than just a little money.
headman

Postby Thirteen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Definitely easier to buy Eurorack in Australia, I don't know of any stores that stock 5U in this country. Personally I couldn't bring myself to go with a Eurorack format modular for several reasons, I don't care for the patch clutter and tiny layout.

the other thing that I much prefer with 5U is the ease with which I have been able to set up normalisation across my system - It's more like using an ARP 2600 now with all keyboard CV's normalised to every VCO, keyboard gates normalised to all the envelope generators, all VCO's normalised to mixer channels grouped to filters and then to VCA's and ADSR's normalised to filters and VCAs also with switching jacks.

My reason for doing this is to make it east to use the synth live. There is no loss of modular flexibility whatsoever because normalling is immediately bypassed when a jack is inserted. The bottom two rows are effectively two complete mono synths with the conventional layout of pretty much any traditional machine and they can be played without a single patch lead inserted into the machine so getting a sound up on the synth is immediate, patch leads are only required for modulation routing from LFO's, noise, ring mod or sequencers. The synth can of course still be used for bleeeps and soundscaping just like any modular but it's really fast to use as a traditional synth routing is already right there and wired for live use on stage when the modular is being used as a traditional synth for melodic playing rather than experimental noise making.

I will probably add a small Euro case in the future but I find that I can do everything that I require with the more conventional Moog type modules, I have plenty of outboard that I can use for things like bit crushing, I don't miss all of the extra module types from Euro-land.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby we88 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 pm

ok that seems pretty simple. I have a small euro but the size sheets me and I combine it with my foogers and voyager so the endless changing of plug sizes is giving me the willies.
Lindsay Webb

www.actualrussianbrides.com
we88

Postby NYMo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 am

Hey...just saw this thread .
I have two 5u modulars now..Moogish and The Whore !
Moogish has 6 Cotk 901 osc , a Synth Werk ( direct clone) 904 and mixer, Q960 etc
In that system I have the SsL 1250 Quad Lfo which is handy ( and goes really slow!) and a SSL Tap Tempo Cv controlled Lfo which is more comprehensive . I can also clock that from the Q960
So that's the authentic Moog sound take n care of !

The Whore is a custom Rob Hordijk Designs ( from Holland) 5u system.
It has The Rungler which is a fantastic type of chaos lfo but it is controllable ( and clockable)
It also has the Tri Lfo as well . Lfo C can modulate lfo a.so pretty versatile...overall a modern sound and Rob is a genius.
( hard to find info online..but Dave Peck has some great demos)
Some great modulation possibilities in the Hordijk.

I had a small 3u Malekko Wiard system..but 3u wasn't for me .
Happy with my wall of black !
Also loving my Eml 101 semi modular too.

Cheers
John NYMo Nyman

Not too old to Rock n Roll...not too young to die !
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum