Neumann W492 EQ

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Neumann W492 EQ

Postby andygriffiths » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey, just wondering if anyone has built one? If so are they good? I'm looking for a DIY EQ to build that isn't a pultec. Also what was the build cost for the W492.
Andy Griffiths- onthebeatstudios & Andy's custom cables
http://www.onthebeatstudios.com
http://www.andyscustomcables.com
andygriffiths
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Neumann W492 EQ

Postby Ben M » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:36 am

I built a pair around 6 years ago andy. I can't remember the build cost exactly but from memory it was around $300 (pair) but I bought the Neumann style coloured Collet knobs and the 492 faceplates from the nice man in Prague (can't remember his name, Dan??)... So if you don't need the extra cosmetic touches then it works out reasonably cheap for a pair.
They sounded pretty sweet. I was definitely going through an eq phase at the time and had a large cache of various eq's including many German varieties. They compared very nicely...worth the cost and time spent.

andygriffiths wrote:Hey, just wondering if anyone has built one? If so are they good? I'm looking for a DIY EQ to build that isn't a pultec. Also what was the build cost for the W492.
Ben M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby headman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:43 pm

I can't comment on the cost or the build, but I can on the sound; I have a pair of the original Neumann's, if you can make them sound as good as the originals you are on a winner. Subtle and sweet is the sound that comes to mind.

headman
headman

Postby Junction » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:28 am

I knew I had some of those W492 EQ pcbs stashed away, just found them.

So I have 4 x PCB's (unloaded) in perfect condition, from the project that is on GroupDIY. Andy you can have them if you decide to proceed to building them, for a donation of your choice to cover me going to the post office and buying a padded bag and stamp. Fair deal?

I will not be able to post until around 5 May, because I am about to jump on a plane

Cheers
Michael
Junction

Postby chris p » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:13 pm

I'm up for them if Andy bails, or wants to go halves.

I've been doing my own PCB design for the 492 with tranny in/out, but if the boards are going spare its an easy mod.

Any cause of particular interest Michael?
Chris Preston

The man who gives meaning to the word "amateur"
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Junction » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 am

chris p wrote:I'm up for them if Andy bails, or wants to go halves.

I've been doing my own PCB design for the 492 with tranny in/out, but if the boards are going spare its an easy mod.

Any cause of particular interest Michael?

Hi Chris, Andy is taking two boards, so you can have the other two. Email me, I'll be back on 3 May and will sort it out then.
Junction

Postby chris p » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks Michael, email sent, and thanks Andy, for sharing.

A true TurtleRock pair of gentlemen.
Chris Preston

The man who gives meaning to the word "amateur"
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Junction » Mon May 05, 2014 4:12 pm

All W492 pcb's are gone, to two new homes.
Junction

Return to D.I.Y.