For Sale - Mackie Onyx 800r w/Digital Output -SOLD!

This is the place to advertise gear YOU OWN that's for sale, for hire or gear you'd like to own.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

For Sale - Mackie Onyx 800r w/Digital Output -SOLD!

Postby Jonathan Kristian » Wed May 30, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi everyone,

Mackie Onyx 800r for sale...

8 Pre's
M/S decoder
ADAT Optical Output
Variable Impedence on channels 1&2
D.I inputs on channels 7&8
Excellent Condition

Includes manual but not original box

$1550 ono

Cheers

Jonathan
Last edited by Jonathan Kristian on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonathan Kristian

Postby chris p » Wed May 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Sorry John - they're about $1250 plus shipping from Sweetwater, brand new.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jonathan Kristian » Wed May 30, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanks Chris... i probably should have checked it out before i put up the post, now i look like an a$$...

Well there you go folks, I guess if anyone wants to make an offer feel free to do so...

Cheers

Jonathan
Jonathan Kristian

Postby Chris H » Wed May 30, 2007 3:29 pm

Jonathan Kristian wrote:Thanks Chris... i probably should have checked it out before i put up the post, now i look like an a$$...

Well there you go folks, I guess if anyone wants to make an offer feel free to do so...

Cheers

Jonathan

Had to laugh at that one!
......an "a$$" with a sence of humour..........

seven out of ten on the humour scale.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Kris » Wed May 30, 2007 6:16 pm

$1250 from Sweetwater maybe... but add Customs (it's over the $1,000 threshold) + GST + freight and it's looking more like $2,000 so $1,500 isn't that far off the money.

Check ebay. That will give you market price... ie, what people are actually paying at the moment.
Kris

Postby toddd » Wed May 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Kris wrote:$1250 from Sweetwater maybe... but add Customs (it's over the $1,000 threshold) + GST + freight and it's looking more like $2,000 so $1,500 isn't that far off the money.

i was thinking the same thing kris.. i recently bought my first >$1000 piece of gear from the states and couldn't figure out why UPS were leaving so many messages on my phone and hadn't delivered it yet.

i really hate learning lessons the hard way...
toddd

Postby chris p » Thu May 31, 2007 4:59 pm

Kris - I'm not challenging you, but I would like to know how you get to $2k

On my very rough calculations ....
GST is 10%, $125
Shipping that doesn't use magic fairy transport - say $80
Customs is old news since the free trade agreement

What am I missing?
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kris » Thu May 31, 2007 10:21 pm

That's cool Chris.

My experience has been any item over $1,000aud of value will attract GST and the attention of the customs dept. Assuming your list price is $1250usd, at today's rate that is $1,500aud. Add $150 gst, plus a customs handling fee and you're around the $1,700 mark. Sweetwater won't ship surface and won't ship uninsured. So looking at USPS Economy Air (as the cheaper option, although unlikely as they will want a tracking number) you are looking at another $200aud for something like that. Hence the "around $2k" figure.

I imported a guitar recently and added almost $400 to the retail price with the above mentioned bits and pieces, even though it was not a new guitar. Hopefully there will be no wood in the packaging. If there is, and there's no packing info then you will be stuck with quarantine on top of all of the other stuff. Quarantine doubled my costs on one particular parcel as they kept scheduling and cancelling an inspection, all the while charging me for storage at their facility ($100 a day x 2 weeks!).
Kris

Postby wez » Thu May 31, 2007 11:25 pm

don't forget that they add GST LAST, so you get taxed on the purchase price AND the shipping, plus - correct me if i'm wrong - some of the various customs fees attract GST. stuff like the old '$80 to open the box and see what it is' fee, etc.

even with the AU $ as strong as it is, i still take the US figure and double it.
wez
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Howard Jones » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:30 am

"i was thinking the same thing kris.. i recently bought my first >$1000 piece of gear from the states and couldn't figure out why UPS were leaving so many messages on my phone and hadn't delivered it yet."

There is an organisation called the Photo Imaging Council Australia Ltd. Some months ago, the executive director had this to say about non-payment of GST on sub-$1,000 purchases:

Unfair Net Trading Continues

Unfair net trading is having an impact on sales by legitimate Australian retailers, while the Federal Government is showing little interest in correcting the situation.

Although the Australian Taxation Office has reportedly begun an investigation into the non-payment of GST on eBay net trading, millions of parcels continue to arrive in Australia with no GST collected on items declared as being under $1000.

More than 130 million parcels per year arrive from Australia Post alone. Yet this is only part of the picture. Freight companies, such as DHL, UPS and FedEx, also import millions of such parcels into Australia each year. And each of these parcels represents another transaction where someone has avoided the proper payment of GST.

And it is the consumer electronics and digital camera retailers that are being hit the hardest. These small, light yet valuable products are a star attraction to prospective net purchasers.

The Australian based retailer has to collect and forward the GST on every item transacted. This applies whether they sell the item across the counter or over the net. Net traders that ship from overseas into Australia need pay no GST on any item they declare to be under $1000, even when the payment in made into an Australian bank account.

Reportedly, eBay has more than five million members in Australia and hosts thousands of merchants who use the service to sell their wares online. eBay's Australian operation is run by eBay International, based in Switzerland and is not required to be registered for GST. Although internationally eBay reports over $US one billion annual profit, for the last two years the Australian operation has posted an annual loss.

It is interesting to note that when the problem arose at eBay in England, the British Inland Revenue Service acted almost overnight and forced eBay to pay Value Added Tax.

Pity we can
Howard Jones
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby chris p » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:35 am

Kris - the light begins to dawn. The US price is $999, so the $1250 is in A$ already. Shipping US Priority International Mail is about US$90 insured for a 15lb item (the unit is 10 lbs), say $120. The GST is then $137, assuming (as Howard says) it gets pinged. Chuck in a $50 handling fee if you wish.

Many manufacturers now have a price protection policy for their sellers to allow them to compete with net sales, and they will match the US price once shipping and GST are factored in. I don't know the street price on a spanking new 800R, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was about the point Jonathon was pricing his, and hence my comment. And I hope all understand I was not having a go at him - I saw one poor sod on evilbay trying to flog a Focusrite Saffire 26 for $1400 - he'd just spent $1699 - not knowing that the Oz price has dropped to about $1k brand new. Digital and good resale - how often do those two words come together?

Howard's post should be mandatory reading. The big difference (or at least as I understand) is that in the UK , VAT (17.5% mind you) applies to sales of 2nd hand goods, whereas GST doesn't. That would make it easier for ebayers to simply list the goods with a status of "used" and bingo - no GST, even on evilbay. However, he is spot on in highlighting the burdens and inequities faced by Aussie businesses in pricing their wares.

'Nuff from me - and apologies to Jonathon - I did not intend to highjack your thread.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Kris » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:04 am

Turra music is retailing them for $2300.

Chris, I don't think you were paying out on anyone. I think this is a good discussion that needs to be had. Howard I understand where you're coming from but consider this. I bought a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive pedal new from a retailer in Florida for US $110. All up it cost me $170 AU delivered to my door. The only place that sells those pedals in Sydney is Guitar Crazy in Coogee. Guess how much they wanted for the same pedal? $470. I kid you not. Another example.... a Gretsch guitar bought for $1,700 AU new, same guitar at Billy Hydes $4,500 AU. What the?

Now, when retailers start looking after me, I will start feeling pangs of conscience about buying OS. But a lot of retailers see their exclusive distribution rights as an excuse to just charge whatever they like.
Kris

Postby Jonathan Kristian » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:37 am

Chris P- No offence taken at all mate, I bought the 800r about 2yrs ago for something close to $2000 and i was just trying to get as much back from it as possible... cant blame a guy for trying.

And to be honest i have been tempted more than a few times to buy abroad but have always been hesitant about the extra costs im going to get hit with (GST/Customs etc...) and usually if you are a patient enough, you can either buy it second hand (mixmasters!!) or get it on sale over here. But as always you want good gear and you want it now... I guess the debate over buying local vs overseas could go on for ever, so i guess its down to the individual in the end whether they are willing to risk it to (maybe) save a few hunded dollars... but then again Kris' example of the Gretch guitar he got for $1700AU seriously has me thinking...

But back to the orginal topic the 800r is still available and any realistic offers will be considered...

Cheers all,

Jonathan
Jonathan Kristian

Postby Howard Jones » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:16 pm

I wouldn't - and don't - blame anyone for buying where they can get a good price. The point I was making is that the Australian Govt has chosen not to allow local sellers to play on an even playing field.

Locals have to collect & pass on GST. Overseas suppliers don't. Now why would our own government do that to us, I wonder...
Howard Jones
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby davemc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:08 pm

Howard Jones wrote:I wouldn't - and don't - blame anyone for buying where they can get a good price. The point I was making is that the Australian Govt has chosen not to allow local sellers to play on an even playing field.

Locals have to collect & pass on GST. Overseas suppliers don't. Now why would our own government do that to us, I wonder...

I agree Howard. Although I known a few items that are 30-50% more in OZ and the distributors told me it was GST/Duty, which it was not. I am talking items already way over $1k.
The example above with the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive pedal it is way more then $50 difference even under $1k.
I can see both sides of the argument, although I think if you want to sell stuff in OZ now you have to understand that people are cool to buy global. I know I have gotten items in from the US in 3-4 days when the local distributor told me 6+ weeks or so and saved money as well. I prefered to buy local if around the same $'s. Although they do not want to keep stock here and only want to do shipments in quanity to save money, So when you can get something for quicker and cheaper as well, its hard to pass up..
davemc

Postby rick » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:39 pm

i bought a set of dorrough bar graph meters the other day , i looked up the price direct from the maker in the usa
which was $995 us , i rang the sole australian agent and he told me it was going to cost $2500 to buy it from him and quoted , import duty / shipping etc as the reason for the price hike

i said i would like to have a local warranty and somebody to call if it breaks so i understand his position
however in this internet world $1500aus is all i will pay for this device
1 hour later he rings and says ok he will do it for 1500aus with local warranty and we are all happy .
i guess there was no "real" profit on this sale for him maybe $125 or so

in my experience local dealers ( at least when they deal with me ) are more interested with the sale then the profit margin
those that work it anyother way dont get my money .
i think every body on the forum wants to sniff out a good deal
but buying anything "digital" without warranty or at least really cheaply to compensate for taking a risk
in my opinion is not worth the hassle

now if we worked in a world where things working properly and for a long time was the norm ...well thats a whole other story

btw
i do not no anything about the mackie digital stuff
rick

Postby Howard Jones » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:35 pm

Some years ago a bloke rang me about getting his DAT machine repaired. I started mentioning rates etc and he said "But it's new; it should be covered under warranty".

I said "Okay. Then take it back to the shop where you bought it and they will organise it for you".

He said "I bought from the net, it was shipped to me from Miami".

I said "Okay, then ship it back to Miami for warranty repair".

He went "!?##@^!?".

It doesn't happen all that often, but it does happen.
Howard Jones
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Kris » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:43 pm

A guy I know once bought 2 MOTU 896 units from the usa on a trip there once. I warned him not to do it. Explained the "no local warranty" issue. He said it would be fine and the price was too good to pass up. Out of the 12 months he had the two units they spent NINE months back in the USA being "looked at". Buying OS should be considered carefully for sure... unless you buy yourself a MacBook Pro (for WAAAAY cheaper than local) and it comes with an international warranty. :D
Kris

Postby Chris H » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:14 am

Howard Jones wrote:I wouldn't - and don't - blame anyone for buying where they can get a good price. The point I was making is that the Australian Govt has chosen not to allow local sellers to play on an even playing field.

This is something i have heard often in the primary produce sector as well. e.g. Aussie strawberry farmers had to individually weigh and wrap every punnet of strawberrys per tray where as the importers were ok to wrap the tray and average the weight of punnets so the tray was the required weight. The labour saving was enough to give them the competitive edge.....not to mention US subsidies to their farmers.... this has impacted dairy and fruit producers. A bit OT but i think our Gov't reps of all political persuasions need to be given the message on this "level playing field " fiasco that is driving too many aussie small businesses to the wall.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Jonathan Kristian » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:49 am

Anyone??
Jonathan Kristian

Postby Aearth » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:58 pm

What about plugins. I downloaded a copy of McDSP Channel G (absolutely the greast software comp I've heard so far), to buy here TDM version is AU$1,300, to buy on ebay is half that amount, go figure. I can understand hardware being expensive to bring from OS as per weight and volume, but downloaded software......how can it be so OVER PRICED here. OK you buy a box with some paper work, but you still have to go a site and download the manual, Ilok authorization and updates.
Getting my pluggers from evilBay from here on.

nIC
Aearth
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:37 pm

totally agree Nick...

Mac DSP plugs are totally awesome...!!! my uni bought a load of licences for our TDM systems...

rooooocccckkkkin!
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Jonathan Kristian » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:23 am

Still here guys...

Down to $1250
Jonathan Kristian

SOLD!

Postby Jonathan Kristian » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:30 pm

SOLD!
Jonathan Kristian