Patchbays layout

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Patchbays layout

Postby Vic » Sun May 11, 2014 11:31 pm

I am just mapping out my patchbay plan, in excel, and I wonder if I was to post them here if anyone wouldn't mind casting their eyes over them. It wont be too extensive, 2 x 96 point patchbays. I think I have it sorted but wouldn't mind a second or third opinion.

Also, I am posting this message up here first to commit myself to finishing the plan in the next day or two :-)

Vic
Vic

Location: Birrego, Nsw (6 hours to Sydney, 4 hours to Melbourne)

Re: Patchbays layout

Postby dave01.cooper » Sun May 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Sure - having just recently re done ours, would be glad to cast an eye over what you've got laid out.

Any lines normal/half normal to others or all full isolated?

cheers
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Vic » Sun May 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks very much Dave,

My main concern is that I have 80 lines coming into the control room ( i went a bit overboard, there are 16 lines outside in case we want to set up out there, 16 in the kitchen, etc etc etc etc :-)

So I am trying to figure out how to deal with those, whether/how they come up to the patchbay, but apart from that yep, I think plenty of normalled lines.

I'll post something up on Tuesday afternoon.

Thanks again.

Vic
Vic

Postby gigpiglet » Mon May 12, 2014 1:31 pm

yes likewise
having just done ours have some fresh ideas..
happy to comment if you post what you have
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Vic » Thu May 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi, Thanks guys.

i haven't mapped out a patchbay plan before, so I hope this is close and is clear enough to understand, I have added notes to explain it.

Any suggestions welcome.

And thanks again.

Link to Patchbay plan - https://www.dropbox.com/s/716qhm8ckgwp9 ... actory.xls
Vic
Vic

Postby dave01.cooper » Fri May 16, 2014 1:22 am

Looks good Vic, well thought out for fluid sake. Your mix ties are a hard one as there's a lot of them but only a certain number of pre's/lines you need so putting them on 25-48 & 72-96 is really the only way imo...
However i feel you may be cutting into future real estate, remember that everyone has G.A.S so plan for expansion rather than reduction!
Attached is my version that I might go with but remember, this is just my opinion. Laying your DA's on the 3rd bay then summing mixer under that leaves room for more conversion expansion plus shifts all your outboard to 25-48 & 72-96 thus allowing for future outboard & AD expansion. Normaling can stay the same too. Your headphone outs could even move all the to 93,94, 95 & 96 on the 3rd bay (not where I have them) as they're a complete separate entity in themselves.

Patchbays are so different from studio to studio and it's soley down to how the owner will use it/if outside engineers will be using the studio too. If the latter, looking at others setups or asking mates what they're use to too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgz19en0kcg36 ... 20edit.xls

Anywhom, that's my 2 bob!

cheers
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Vic » Fri May 16, 2014 10:12 pm

HI Dave,

Thanks so much, I've just had a quick look and this makes complete sense.

And also your comments really made me realise that I was trying to be too lean, really trying to cram things into 2 patchbays, which I realise now was a mistake. So it's a great idea to leave room to breath and grow.

I will be sitting down with this over the weekend and hopefully getting to a final plan.

Thanks so much, your suggestions all make complete sense.

Vic
Vic

Postby dave01.cooper » Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey Vic,

glad could be of some help! Only after posting that made me consider some of our layout on the patch bays we have. Problem i'll be facing in the near future is where to put the jh24 send/returns... Will I normal them straight off our lynx convertor in/outs or console in/outs or not normal at all? Plus will they have their own bay or cram them in some where else?
Main thing I reckon is grounding with all gear, how much noise does it induce if you're normalling etc. That is if you're not running clean grounding stakes etc.

Too many questions... beer time :-bd
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.