Sub-woofer crossover freq

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Sub-woofer crossover freq

Postby Drumstruck » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Wondering what you fellows and lady set your sub crossover freq at and why?

Currently mine is at 80Hz and seems about right there (3 way spkrs and pr of 12" subs) - using the theory that the subs are non-directional and should take the load off the main spkrs bottom end without creating a hole in an important frequency.....

thoughts?
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Sub-woofer crossover freq

Postby Chris H » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Tricky business this is. Given your proximity to Dandenong It might be worth taking your monitors to Mick at Lorantz and he will measure the monitor speakers you plan to use, showing you how and where the bottom end drops off and giving you more accurate info to set your subs up.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:52 am

if you want it to be accurate, i would use a 2 way active cross over to ensure the crossover filter is more or less identical from the bottom end of your monitors and your sub.
using a 48dB linkwitz riley filter in the crossover should yield the best results.
and yeah, as chris mentioned, i would look into where the subs drop off, ie. the -3dB point on the monitors, and stick my crossover point above that.
Jamil Khuri
Amusement & Audio Engineer
"it's not awesome unless its 240bpm with distorted 909 kicks!"
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Drumstruck » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Alastair Reynolds » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:45 pm

I use 120Hz for LFE channels and Subs. Works well and takes a lot of stress off main monitors.
I use a 24dB per Octave active crossover. 48dB may be difficult to achieve in analogue land at a reasonable cost. That's a really hi-Q . Easier in digital land, but probably overkill for the purpose of a sub X-over.
At 80 Hz turnover frequency, your talking about losing 6dB in 5Hz for the HPF section. The tolerance needed in passive components to achieve this would be very difficult to match between 2 channels accurately.
Think of the difficulty and cost in achieving a LPF at say 24KHz at 48dB / Octave for anti aliasing, still tricky and expensive.

my 2c worth
Alastair Reynolds
Broadcast Radio Engineer
Master of the Dark Arts (Broadcast)
Alastair Reynolds
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby jkhuri44 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:16 pm

tbh now that i remember i dont think it was that steep a filter. the article did maintain LR was the best, i think 24-36 was what they actually recommended.
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:21 am

Thanks for the info so far gents - I thought this was a conversation worthy topic rather than a specific need for me.

fwiw my setup is a pair of KRK 10-3s and a pair of KRK 12s subs (all self-powered) - so output from the console (L/R large spkr) goes to the L and R subs respectively with crossover freq set on the subs and thence into each respective L/R 10-3. Using the trial and earror (pun intended) methodology I started with xover at 80Hz which was fine - yesterday I tried 90Hz which was better giving both more fullness and clarity. Today I'll try at 100Hz.....

More please ->
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jkhuri44 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 am

fwiw, be!@#$%^& or dayton audio, cant remember, make a usb measurement mic, wich for things like that can give you a better idea of where your system is dropping off... you can run sweeps through both sub and main monitors and then work out where an LPF, HPF would best be sitting. That's if you dont want to use your ears, for a professional application, i probably wouldnt ...the mic is not expensive either, $50 or less i think
Jamil Khuri
jkhuri44
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Kurt » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Use audiotools, the iphone app ;)

I have a sub I got for $10 at a junk shop, I use it to hear if there are any rumbles I mightn't otherwise notice. The bottom end in my little bedroom studio is a disater so I don't tend to have it turned on most of the time.

jkhuri44 wrote:fwiw, be!@#$%^& or dayton audio, cant remember, make a usb measurement mic, wich for things like that can give you a better idea of where your system is dropping off... you can run sweeps through both sub and main monitors and then work out where an LPF, HPF would best be sitting. That's if you dont want to use your ears, for a professional application, i probably wouldnt ...the mic is not expensive either, $50 or less i think
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.