Aurotones as sub-kick?

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Aurotones as sub-kick?

Postby Drumstruck » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:36 am

Hey lady and gents,

Couldn't sleep last night and started thinking about making a sub-kick..... and I wondered, has anyone tried using a smallish unpowered speaker in a cabinet? Something like an aurotone for e.g.?

It sounds too simple to be true but couldn't you just pigtail an XLR cable and connect where the spkr wires normally connect and voila?

I don't have any such spkrs otherwise I'd give it a try...... :-?
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Aurotones as sub-kick?

Postby Chinagraf » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:54 am

Aurotones might be a bit small sized cone?
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris H » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:55 am

I sometimes use my 12 inch rola open back guitar cab as sub kick. It's what I call a loose speaker, easily driven to give a complimentary sound i like along with the kick mic. But it's a great idea to experiment with anything you have got as you can get useable results that may not be sub frequencies, and this can open up creative options. Years ago before computers i used a cassette as my recording note book for capturing ideas and the only mic cable i had wasn't working so i grabbed my pair of headphones, put them on my accoustic guitar's body , plugged them into the phono mic in on the cassette player and got an interesting dull but useable recording. Later in the studio i recorded the same setup to a track on 16 inch tape along with the good mic, a KM 85 and used the headphone track as a send to reverb for a great dark warm reverb for the guitar. It always pays to muck around, especially in your own time, and amass a collection of ideas to use when the occasion arrises when producing. I would think the aurotone will have a place in your sample's folder as well, so go for it.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby Lee » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 pm

I built 2 sub kick mics out of speakers from a Porsche that my car audio mate replaced. I think they are 5 or 6 inch. They sound great.

http://instagram.com/p/nzGHepF8Gq/?modal=true
Lee McDonald
"A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other's"
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.