What are they thinking with some of these re-masters?

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

What are they thinking with some of these re-masters?

Postby Drumstruck » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Rant time.

Just listened to the remastered Genesis album "Wind and Wuthering" - what a terrible job! They lost all the band integration in the music - things jab out just for the sake of being heard - drums sound like cr@p - guitars sound layered on top - kb sounds cheap, vocals sound isolated and overdubbed...... etc Not saying the original was a great sound - it was somewhat wispy and compressed, but at least it sounded like a band.

Progress doesn't all go forwards.
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: What are they thinking with some of these re-masters?

Postby Chris H » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:38 pm

My take is the original production team had an intent re how the album should sound. Any remaster should be done with the original pressing as a reference, and should not differ markedly from that. I remember getting Pink Floyd DSOM as a gift and when listening to the CD I just knew it wasn't a patch on my original vinyl copy even though I hadnt listened to it for years. I went back and played the LP to reference and sure enough it was just crap. It wasn't until i got a copy of Doug Sax's remaster that i could listen to it.
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.