'Vintage' mics, the costs involved

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

'Vintage' mics, the costs involved

Postby dave01.cooper » Fri May 01, 2015 11:20 pm

So over the last few months noticed that a couple of the more vintage dynamics mics in the cupboard have becoming thin sounding. Those being:

Beyer M88-n - occasional crackling & just really thin, no more awesome low end thud
Telefunken 'hand grenade' omni (unknown of model...) - again, crackling and no low end.
AKG D12e - this was purchased with not much low end so hopeful could be revived.

Sent them to Peter @ http://www.drefahlaudio.com/ after reading some great reviews about him. Anyone else used him?
Long story short m88 is dead but can be revived with newer parts as capsule is beyond repair, probably around the $350 AUS mark. Telefunken is dead without butchering it as it's a collectors piece, mission impossible...
& Akg is able to be revived but will loose a smidgen of low end, unknown of costs yet. Reading that email was not the best thing to wake up to this morning to be honest!!!

I'm sure you've all got worse horror stories than that related to older mics but just needed to vent my frustration on the matter...

On another note I got an old Russian talk back mic working yesterday & studio buddy Paul repaired a Cadenza ribbon recently too so I suppose life ain't all take.

now, who's got an m88-n for sale? ;)

Dave
Dave Cooper

E - dave @ soundmachinestudios . com . au
W - soundmachinestudios.com.au
dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: 'Vintage' mics, the costs involved

Postby Paul Maybury » Thu May 07, 2015 12:41 pm

I've never had a problem with old EV's. Or Sony's for that matter.
Old European mics, on the other hand......
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chris H » Fri May 08, 2015 9:23 am

Generally speaking vintage recording equipment and old wooden boats have a lot in common re maintenance costs!
Chris Hallam.
https://soundcloud.com/hallamsound
Whatever floats your boat.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby rick » Fri May 08, 2015 5:38 pm

I gave up on old dynamics long ago , even if you can get the nos parts its not worth the money , i only want microphones that work properly .

having old mics is all about knowing what the value of the parts is when buying them

people are always amazed at the price I buy vintage neumanns for .. ( cheap) but in the long run by the time they are restored back to A1 they have cost me about the going price anybody else pays on ebay .. except mine will go for another 60 years because I know the work is done .

Sometimes I get a real score of a deal ..but usally the only reason people sell microphones is there is something wrong with them and they need the money .

Vintage Microphones are expensive any way you look at it , Vintage dynamics would have to be nearly free for me to ever buy another one .
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby dave01.cooper » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Very Solid advice Rick.
Problem is I love the sound of old dynamics! Especially omni dynamics, when used in the right room on the right source they just sound awesome.

Where do you source your capsules and spare parts from Rick? We blew a ribbon on an old Cadenza mic last week on an overly loud gtr cab and need to replace. I'd like to give it a crack and repair my self as it'll give me good practice to tinker with other mics as never really touched mics, only outboard/consoles/cabling.

Speaking of Neumann collection, how many do you own now?!

Cheers
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby lonearranger » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:28 pm

dave01.cooper wrote:... We blew a ribbon on an old Cadenza mic last week on an overly loud gtr cab and need to replace. I'd like to give it a crack and repair my self as it'll give me good practice to tinker with other mics as never really touched mics, only outboard/consoles/cabling.

There are a few people on ebay selling kits for ribbon mic repairs around the $20 mark. You will need to cut the foil to size which is a bit of a challenge, and also finding something to corrugate the cut ribbon with. You can have a play with using kitchen foil to get a taste of whats involved, but is much harder with the thinner foils. I didn't mind kitchen foil on guitar amps, esp if you blend with a dynamic mic, but the top end response will take a hit. At least you will see if its something you are up for, or you might decide to send it off to someone to re-ribbon it professionally.

Cheers
Michael Luchich
Alternation.com.au
Walcha NSW
lonearranger

Postby dave01.cooper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:56 pm

There are a few people on ebay selling kits for ribbon mic repairs around the $20 mark. You will need to cut the foil to size which is a bit of a challenge, and also finding something to corrugate the cut ribbon with. You can have a play with using kitchen foil to get a taste of whats involved, but is much harder with the thinner foils.

Great info thanks I'll have a look and give it a go!
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby chrisp » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:26 am

Communist with M88 capsule looking to meet up with communist with M88 transformer ...

If your M88 capsule is dead, is the transfomer OK? If so, can I buy it from you?
Chris Preston
The man who gives meaning to the word amateur
chrisp

Postby dave01.cooper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Communist 1 agrees with communist 2 - will toe party line accordingly!

Send us an email on

dave@soundmachinestudios.com.au

to discuss world domination further...

On another note, got the D12e back. Sounds wonderful, full, rich and 'heavy' sounding. Tried it on my 24" Gas kick drum with a pop filter -> Chandler TG -> 1176LN (not doing more than 2db GR) and sounds awesome. Not for all styles but very useable :-bd
Dave Cooper

dave01.cooper
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.