Location recorder

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Location recorder

Postby mylesgm » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi T-Rockers,

After some advice regarding updating my location recorder. I'm currently running a Fostex Fr-2LE and it has operated great for a number of years. I want to upgrade to more than stereo and at a not ridiculous cost but also want a quality unit with decent preamps, low noise and decent battery life with a realistic recharging option. Mostly I would use it for recording classical music concerts with a stereo pair of schoeps CMCmk5 but occasionally I'll want to record field sounds, or use a stereo ribbon etc. Not very keen on spending several thousand for a Sound Devices or a nagra (but if you want to sell one to me cheap...). What are people using that they have great personal experience with? I've loved my Fostex, reliable, almost eternal battery life (on RC rechargeables), relatively low noise (but could be improved) and very light.

Options?
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Location recorder

Postby tony » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi Myles,

I have been running a Nagra VI and love it, but the cost is a little crazy and the size isn't super convent for a lot of small gigsā€¦ that said there is no way I would part with it.

I have also been using a Zoom H6 a lot lately, for the convenience of the size and the mics stuck on the front. Six inputs means I can do a a X/Y or M/S, plus Binaural, plus throw out a A/B pair or some hyrophones/contact mics depending on the gig. However the battery life is average, especially if 48V is being used to run condensers. I use my mkh 8040's with it occasionally , but it wouldn't be my go to recorder for classical stuff. Doesn't play nicely with my ribbon mics.

I recognise that neither of these are suggestions on what to buy, but hopeful it might help cull the list a little.

Would love to know what you end up with.
Tony Brumpton
Tone Black Productions
http://www.toneblack.com
tony

Postby mylesgm » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah, that Nagra is way out of my price range! I do like the idea of buying really good and something that will last but my car cost less than that... Those H6s look kind of plasticy and I haven't used any zoom products I've actually liked, though they have just come out with a sound devices style recorder which may be worth looking at. Too be honest, I don't understand why it's hard to design something that has low noise preamps, basic controls, the right functionality (who needs virtual take grouping, whatever that is) a solid case, and runs on a decent battery system without it costing thousands... but then I think the same thing about mics considering the technology is essentially unchanged in the last 20-40 years. Oh well, I'll report back when I take the plunge.
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ether » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:28 am

There's a Nagra LB on eBay at the moment, bundled with some mics. Maybe the seller is open to some negotiation?

Sell the car! Buy the Nagra!

I personally have never really liked most prosumer portable recorders, so have decided to use an iPad / MacBook + audio interface setup while I save save save for a Nagra 7.
- AJ

aj.music@me.com
Chalmers St, Redfern
0488 303 600

http://itunes.apple.com/au/artist//id169133326

NEW SOUND WAVES
Modular Synth Collective for Sydneysiders and those Nearby
http://nswaves.tumblr.com
ether

Postby John Campbell » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:26 pm

When you need more than two channels, what number do you want? If it's only four, why not get another Fostex and sync the files? A bit unorthodox I know, but could save you lots of dollars.
John Campbell

Postby reddirt » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Mile,s that new Zoom, at least on the surface looks really interesting and affordable.
I normally adhere to the principle if it seems too good to be true etc but the facilities on this tick all the boxes and seem to deserve a 2nd look at least.
Cheers, Ross

Ross Muir
Alice springs
reddirt

Return to The Turtlerock Forum