Patchbay Recommendation?

A place to ask the basic questions, a place for students, newbies, and everyone else.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Patchbay Recommendation?

Postby slavco.atanasovski » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:38 am

Hi Turtlerockers,

I'm looking into getting a patchbay at the moment and I am kinda stuck as I'm not too sure if I should go for a 1/4 Jack patchbay like the Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 48 way or should I go for a TT patchbay?

I do have quite a bit of equipment at the moment which I need to hook up to the patch bay and the 48 way won't be enough for me which will mean I will need to get two 48 ways if I go with that. I am also looking at getting myself a summing mixer soon so I'm looking at making the right choice now and going in the right direction from the start rather than hitting a brick wall and starting all over again down the track.

Do the TT patchbays transfer signals better than the standard 1/4 jack patchbays or are they purely just to save rack space especially in bigger setups as they are 96 way?

Ps. This is my first post and I'm glad to be part of this fantastic forum ;)
slavco.atanasovski

Re: Patchbay Recommendation?

Postby Linear » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:07 pm

i'd go 96 way bantam (TT) patchbays. look for ones with DB25 connectors - most converters and summing mixers use DB25 now as it's compact and easy.

no difference in quality in my opinion - just get good quality patch leads.

Chris
Chris Vallejo
Linear Recording
http://www.linear-recording.com.au
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby audioio » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Linear wrote:no difference in quality in my opinion

The shape of TTs is the same as the longframes which some still use for audio and were adopted from the old telephone exchanges. They are reported to make better contact than the pointy, almost triangular, shape of your typical 1/4"... and largely self-cleaning. After using both at work over several years, I'd have to say that TTs are more reliable. (Except for some where there's no front plane over the sockets, so the socket takes the force of insertion and flexes the circuit board behind.)

+1 for the DB25s.
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby slavco.atanasovski » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:52 am

Okay cool thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated...

I found some bantam TT patchbay's with centronics connectors at the back rather than the DB25 connectors I know most things today use DB25 connectors so would these just be a waste of time and money to get? (These are second hand but are pretty cheap compared to all the other TT patchbays I have seen for example Redco, ADC, Neutrik, etc)
OR
Should I spend that extra buck and just grab myself the DB25's like mentioned, if so are there any which you can recommend? I have found a few but most of the ones I have found are solder patchbays. Also where would you be able to get your hands on something like this in Australia rather than getting them shipped in from overseas as I can't seem to find any stores who actually sell TT patchbays?
slavco.atanasovski

Postby Drumstruck » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 am

Imo it's better to spend the $s for a TT DB25 unit if you can afford it. Centronics are a pita as you may need custom cables as well - the standard parallel cables (centronics to DB25) didn't work for me.

Other considerations are the cost of TT patch leads vs TRS patch leads and # of RUs the patchbays will occupy..... Or perhaps a digital router would be an option.....

I could rave on more but y'all know that stuff already :-)

Ps a quick search on ebay will find you heaps of options
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to You've gotta start somewhere.