24 channel adat to daw,"any recommendations"?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

24 channel adat to daw,"any recommendations"?

Postby heathen » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:37 am

Hi everyone,I'm thinking of selling my mackie hdr 24/96 and would like a recommendation for a 24 channel adat interface for one of my computers (pc windows xp).I have owned the hdr (with os 1.4)for a few years now and it has been rock solid,never ever let me down,a few people have had trouble with thiers but I have not.I'm pretty much sick of transfering files back and forth this is the only reason I want to sell it and now would like midi alongside audio. Any recommendations on a 24 channel adat interface to run with my o2r and daw would be greatly appreciated (anything other than digidesign).
Thanks in advance,
Heath
heathen
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby davemc » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:46 pm

Most things are in 8 or 16.
Motu have a 24 in if I remember.
What about using the Mackie in record input through to a adat in.
davemc

Postby PeterR » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:25 pm

RME hdsp9652 has 3 adat I/O which gives 24 channels at 24/48. It has midi and spdif I/O. Not sure about aes/ebu. Has WC and adat sync too.
PeterR

Postby Jason Dirckze » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:53 pm

Yeah...MOTU 2408mkIII has 24 I/O ADAT or TDIF, aswell as 8 analogue I/O.

I have one and find it reliable, and use it in conjunction with a MOTU Microlite MIDI interface. never had a problem with either, but am running it with a G5. Dont know how well it goes with Windows.....
Jason Dirckze

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:28 pm

I had a MOTU 2408, it refused to work with my PC, luckily the guy I bought it off offered to buy it back at the same price, it works fine on his Mac. The problem was with my pc's Via chipset, some will work, some won't apparently.

Does the Mackie have network connectivity or is it a disc swapping marathon like my Fostex?
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Aearth » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:07 am

I have a PT HD3 system with a 192 IO and 96 IO and if I could start all over again I would go the latest RME card, RME IO and Nuendo.

Nick
Aearth
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Choby » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:19 pm

Is that cos of converter quality Nick? Or more to do with platform? What is the reason you'd prefer RME over Tools HD system? I'm agreeing with you here...I'm just interested to get you particular motives.
Choby

Postby davemc » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:21 pm

For someone else thinking about going HD to Nuendo or Logic.
For me it more about the price seeing I just brought a house.
Although I do prefer PT look and how it works so I will see.
My HD system rarely ever crashes.
I can run a lot of plugins if I like.
Have to see what EQ's native are like compared to somthing like the MDW eq.

As I said its more about price for me. HD works fine the convertors are cool. If they did 24 in/out Digi003 maybe go that.
davemc

Postby Aearth » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:34 pm

[quote="Choby"]Is that cos of converter quality Nick? Or more to do with platform? What is the reason you'd prefer RME over Tools HD system? I'm agreeing with you here...I'm just interested to get you particular motives.[/quote]

It's not that I prefer RME over my 192 IO box. It's just if I had to start over I would go RME/Nuendo (latest version) as it gives you a great sound at a reasonable cost. But I'm committed to PT HD3 with 192 IO and $$$$$ worth of plugins. So that's where I'm at and it's cost a small fortune. You don't need to have a big Protools system to make great music....especially these days....I'm not bashing Tools as I've got and use a PT system.

Nick
Aearth
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby jefferson » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:21 am

Found this at MusicLab in Brisbane for $1250
The HDSP 9652 is the long-awaited successor of the well-known PCI card Project Hammerfall (DIGI9652). Like the original Hammerfall, HDSP 9652 offers 3 x ADAT optical I/O, ADAT-Sync In, SPDIF I/O and word clock I/O. On top, there are 2 MIDI I/Os and TotalMix, a DSP-based real-time mixer/router.

3 x ADAT digital I/O, based on RME's reliable Bitclock PLL
1 x SPDIF digital I/O, based on RME's reliable DIGI96 technology
1 x Breakout cable for coaxial SPDIF operation
1 x Word clock I/O (BNC) on included expansion board
1 x ADAT Sync In (9-pin D-type) for sample accurate transfers
2 x MIDI I/O, 32 channels high-speed MIDI via breakout cable
HDSP Meter Bridge: freely scalable level meters, peak- and RMS calculation directly in hardware
TotalMix: 1352 channel mixer with 40 bit internal resolution
S/MUX poured in hardware: 12 channels 96 kHz/24 bit for record and playback on ADAT optical

Regards

Jefferson
jefferson

Return to The Turtlerock Forum