Broadcast wireless mics +48V

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Broadcast wireless mics +48V

Postby Manning » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Anyone know much about the world of broadcast audio, specifically wireless headsets?

I want to get a DPA d:fine headset, but it needs +48V from the wireless transmitter, and I can't seem to find one that is compatible.

But then I discovered that the specs from even the most high end transmitters (Lectrosonics, Zaxcom) don't ever mention +48V, but all of DPA's press releases talk about how they get used with these transmitters.

So I am now thoroughly confused.
Manning Bartlett, Studio Laughing Duck, Glenorie NSW
http://www.studiolaughingduck.com
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Broadcast wireless mics +48V

Postby chrisp » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:07 am

Hey Manning

My understanding is that the d:fine headsets can be powered from 5V to 50V - they have an adaptor to take 48V phantom power from a desk via an XLR cable, but that makes them wired rather than wireless. However, they can (I believe) also run off a battery belt pack like a normal wireless headset.

Why not drop a line to the Dalai Lama? I think he uses d:fines. Mind you his answer will be along the lines "the more you seek phantom power the further away you are..."
Chris Preston
The man who gives meaning to the word amateur
chrisp

Postby Manning » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:53 pm

LOL.

Yeah, I've got a couple of DPA 4060s which I've used as regular wired condensers (for sit down interviews) - running phantom through the XLR cable.

Meanwhile I've emailed DPA for an answer to the wireless conundrum. Still awaiting their response.

Apparently there is some way of drawing voltage from the transmitter via a "microdot" but I am still quite vague as to what that is, or how it works, or what wireless system it works with.

Meanwhile, and unrelated... I just discovered a Japanese brand called Azden. A mate of a mate just started importing them. somehwat annoyingly, they blow away my Senneiser G3/500 rig in terms of S/N. The lapel mic that comes with the system is mediocre, but the transmitter/receiver combo is just awesome (and under $600).
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby walmann » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi Manning,

All headset and lapel electret condensers need a bias voltage to operate. The voltage for the wireless versions is supplied from the transmitter body pack and is typically around 5-10 volts.

Different RX system manufacturers supply different voltages and different connectors/pin configurations on their body packs that match their standard microphone.

DPA supply all their headset and lapel microphones with their cable terminated with a "Microdot" connector and you then need to purchase a Microdot adapter to suit the RF transmitter you are using or if using a cable there are also Microdot to XLR adapter that uses phantom power to provide the bias voltage.

So the answer is you need an adapter for the radio system you are working with.

This is a link to the DPA page that lists all the Microdot adapters.
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-finde ... on=420-388

Cheers

Warwick
Warwick Mann
Inaburra School and IPAC Wollongong
walmann

Postby Manning » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:37 pm

Sweet Warwick, thanks.

Be nice if manufacturers put this on their websites. No mention of phantom power anywhere.
Manning
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum