McIntosh for Monitoring amps

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

McIntosh for Monitoring amps

Postby Paul Maybury » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Not sure if this should go in this DIY topic, but I'm thinking about using a McIntosh amp for my main monitors, GPA 604 8h's. Not valve McIntoshs, but the solid state ones with output autoformers.
If anyone has any opinions, thoughts and experience with these outmoded, oversized, thoroughly superseded and esoteric rabbit holes, please chime in.
I am happy running these speakers from my Auditec/ Murray and Yamaha amps, but I'm always wanting more. And curiosity has lead me to researching McIntoshs.
Anyone?
Cheers, Paul
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: McIntosh for Monitoring amps

Postby zenelectro » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Paul Maybury wrote:Not sure if this should go in this DIY topic, but I'm thinking about using a McIntosh amp for my main monitors, GPA 604 8h's. Not valve McIntoshs, but the solid state ones with output autoformers.
If anyone has any opinions, thoughts and experience with these outmoded, oversized, thoroughly superseded and esoteric rabbit holes, please chime in.
I am happy running these speakers from my Auditec/ Murray and Yamaha amps, but I'm always wanting more. And curiosity has lead me to researching McIntoshs.
Anyone?
Cheers, Paul

It depends on which Macs you are referring to. Some of the really good (but expensive) SS / autoformer Macs
were amongst the lowest distortion SS amps ever made. I've seen measurements and they were staggeringly
linear right up to 20kHz - which very few amps do. As for the sound, a friend who builds speakers was using MC501 in his ref system and it sounded really good. Your GPA 604's are very efficient and won't require a huge amount of power so the options are pretty open.
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Return to D.I.Y.