Windows 10

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Windows 10

Postby Djembe » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:46 pm

The free upgrade to Windows 10 expires on July 29,
Anyone like to chip in with pros and cons of upgrading?
Also do you have to do a complete re-install of everything or can your keep applications installed and load the OS over the top like a Mac.
Blair Greenberg
Djembe
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Windows 10

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Hey Blair,
it' can be an install over the top (keeps your apps)not a reinstall, but good practice would be to do a backup first.
We're running PT12 on Win10 in 2 rooms here. One system is all good, other one gets cpu spikes unless run in admin mode, although the one with no spikes is on 12.4 and the one getting spikes is on 12.5.2

Outside Protools, it's all pretty good. Only downside is auto updates which seem to be complicated to disable if at all possible, and you don't know they are hapening till you go to shutdown by which point they are already sitting there ready to go with no way to stop them.
Also the menu structure for things like device manager, system etc is all hidden a bit under pretty icons for the stupid, but you can right click the windows icon to find them and do things the old way.

We haven't had any compatibility issues and it does appear to run faster on the same machine that win7 was running on. I prefer it as an upgrade of OS to El Capitan on my macbook.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Sammas » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:33 pm

I would recommend a clean install if you can. I really like Windows 10. I've always been a hardened mac fan, but could happily use W10 as an alternative. The GUI slickness of it is very comparable to OSX if you ask me.

I have had a couple of issues with it. Machine_Check_Expection errors appear very few days on boot up, but I think I would notch that up to some creative driver installation in order to get W10 functioning on a Mac Pro 4,1 via boot camp. Apple doesn't even support Windows 8 on my machine, but W10 is working is a very usable fashion. I think the problem is largely related to PRAM and the transition from OSX to W10. It only happens when moving between operating systems and a restart sorts it straight out.

The backup process doesn't seem quite as smooth as time machine, and edge (microsoft's new internet browser) drives me up the wall with a few small issues (if you put any kind of punctuation into the search/URL bar, it will read it as a URL instead of searching the web). It does boot faster than OSX on my machine. It is an incredibly snappy OS!
Sammas

Postby Chinagraf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:46 pm

OMG - edge - yes I forgot about that b@$tard!
Goes to Bing anytime you want to search anything.
Hate it!
Gone to Chrome long time ago.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby a.beck » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:42 am

It's really easy to set your default search engine.

I use Chrome as well, but Edge defaulting to Bing isn't an indication that it's a bad browser.
a.beck

Postby Djembe » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:33 am

Thanks for your input everybody. I've decided to stay with W7 for the time being - "if it ain't broke... etc".
I've had some warnings about the automatic hardware updates and also Microsoft data mining. Apparently there has been quite a lot of noise about these issues.
See what happens further down the track.
Blair Greenberg
Djembe
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum