time for a new machine - recommendations?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

time for a new machine - recommendations?

Postby Text_Edifice » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:07 am

Hi all,

my 'trusty' 10 year old macbook pro just gave up the ghost. It's been my home studio / location / project machine for ages and am now looking at options for a new machine.

I need something portable or a cheap-ish dedicated studio machine with a cheaper laptop.

What's everyone using out there at the moment?
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: time for a new machine - recommendations?

Postby mylesgm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Macbook pro i7 2.5ghz 17inch, 16gb, 1x SSD 1x HD, late 2011. Been working a treat since I got it. Easy to upgrade parts, big screen with antiglare finish.

Mac Mini at studio, i7 server version I think it's from 2012 and it's also rock solid.
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Drumstruck » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:08 pm

I have the identical machines as Myles and have the same excellent reliability. However, I don't think the 17" screen versions are available now - they seem to have moved to these air models.

I'm thinking of a windoh!s laptop (name brand) with a large screen when I'm forced to upgrade.
Last edited by Drumstruck on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Dare
Drumstruck
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Paul Maybury » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi,
Hackintosh at the studio and an 8 year old macbookpro.
I like optical drives on my laptop.
Paul Maybury
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John Campbell » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Dave, I’m coming in late here, so maybe you’ve already found a solution. But if not, here's a lateral suggestion. Not as elegant as what you had in mind, but could save you a heap of dollars.

Like Myles and Ian, I have a Mac Mini i7 which has been faultless (installed a SSD). One cheap-ish option you might want to consider is to use one machine for fixed and portable use. The Mini is very portable if you set it up in the studio from the start with the idea of making it easy to unplug and reconnect cables. It will not take much time at all if you make sure it’s easy to get to them. There are plenty of inexpensive keyboards and monitors around, if you don’t already have those.
John Campbell

Postby Text_Edifice » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Looking at the specs of the machine I have and the mac mini's there's not much in them so I ended up paying to repair the machine and put an ssd in it. I lost a bunch of data (so a reminder to keep better backups) but the lappie is back up and working fine.

Did necessitate moving up a couple of PT versions but that seems to work fine.

I wish apple made a 2011 spec'd mac mini as those machines do seem great for smaller studios and maybe a better option than the trashcans. I think cost / performance wise the next physical machine I get will be a pc build.
Dave Carter

http://www.twitter.com/davecarter
Text_Edifice
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby John Campbell » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:02 pm

A useful feature of the Mac Mini (mine is also 2012) with a SSD is that it's extremely quiet in operation. Just about gotta stick your earhole on it to know it is running.
John Campbell

Postby audioio » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:03 am

The trashcans are a pain in the arse... everything has to hang off them and can't go inside. Magma sort of had the right idea with one of their Robin units... PCI slots and space for 2 Mac Minis. But apparently they were a dog and never worked, and have now been discontinued.
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby chrisp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:50 am

I'm in the same position of needing to update my DAW - and thanks to this thread I just bought this past week a late 2012 mac mini quad core i7s, tricked out with 16GB RAM, a 1TB HD, plus had an additional 256MB SSD. Loaded it up last night with Logic Pro X, so my bandwidth is now toast for the rest of the month!

For those looking for a comparison, the more recent mini's have a better overall architecture that makes them about 10-15% faster on single core tasks, as well as having better graphics. Think gaming and video streaming. The late 2012 quad i7 version has a better multiprocessing CPU and larger CPU cache, which means it smokes the newer versions on sheer grunt processing power by about 25% on threaded tasks - which Logic does utilise.

Even second hand a tricked out quad i7 costs as much as a brand new middle stream mini, and by the time you've added an HD TV as a monitor and bought the latest version of Logic, you're not getting much change from $2K. Sill, compare that to buying any other piece of decent audio equipment.
Chris Preston
The man who gives meaning to the word amateur
chrisp

Postby rowmat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:44 pm

We have two Macs...

A mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina
2.7ghz Quad Core i7
16 GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M + Intel HD Graphics 4000
500GB SSD

Runs great.

We also recently replaced our ageing studio iMac Core Duo (2008) with a late 2013 27" iMac (not 5K screen), 3.5ghz Quad Core i7, 32 GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 780M 4GB VRAM, 3TB Fusion Drive. 4x USB 3.0 plus 2x Thunderbolt ports.
This was purchased S/H for $3000.

Strangely the newer iMac runs a LOT cooler than the old one.
rowmat

Postby reddirt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:54 pm

My 2010 MBP 17" has been great but have also been looking at the 2012 mini, as Chris said, anyone who's selling knows they are on a winner and pricing at a premium ; hoping for a more sensible i-Mac or mini refresh down the road but breath holding is probably only going to stuff my health particularly as Apple are I believe deliberately crippling the lesser machines so as to make the trash can the only realistic option for pro's.

Cheers, Ross

Ross Muir
Reddirt Recordings
Alice Springs
reddirt

Postby chribble » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Thinking about doing this soon too,
anyone running firewire audio interfaces over thunderbolt adaptors, without issues?
Chr is Bradstre et
chribble
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Wiz » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:43 am

chribble wrote:Thinking about doing this soon too,
anyone running firewire audio interfaces over thunderbolt adaptors, without issues?

I runs a firewire disk via thunderbolt for my audio... I know its not an interface, but its been rock solid

cheers

Wiz
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Milo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:29 am

Been running RME UFX for about 6 years with a TB adaptor, both studio and on location: not a whimper of a problem

Milo
John Summers
Milo

Return to The Turtlerock Forum