DRIP REDD 47

Are you building something? Share your resources with the locals - for more in depth D.I.Y. head to The Lab

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

DRIP REDD 47

Postby Wiz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:30 am

I have just bought (from a T Rocker) the DRIPP 47 PCB and a Case for the completed unit.

Just wondering if anyone here has been down this path... and has any helpful info before I start seeking parts and information for the build.

I plan on sending it to Rob for the final once over and power side of things...

any info greatly appreciated...

or if you have any parts you may have ordered and never used... hit me up

cheers

Wiz
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: DRIP REDD 47

Postby zenelectro » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:36 pm

I did a repair on a diy compressor a while ago, pretty sure it was a drip pcb / build. There were numerous issues
that had to be sorted - having said that, a mic pre is more straight fwd. Just proceed with caution take your time.

Also worth mentioning is that I see a lot of drip builds with carbon comp resistors sprinkled around. They sound nice and warm but at a minimum keep them out of the front end and FB loop, they are noisy and drift.

It's worth getting a decent set of tubes which doesn't mean spending truckloads on esoterica. Amperex EF86 and 6DJ8 sound great and can be had for a reasonable price. Telefunken are IMO often over rated and over priced. They can actually sound somewhat sterile / clean and kind head in the opposite direction of what that whole pre is about.

Good luck, post some pics when u r done!

cheers
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby Wiz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Hey Terry

thanks for posting...

When I get the BOM I might pop back and get some eyes run over it...

I was wondering about resistors.... carbon comp, metal film. vishays etc..
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby zenelectro » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Wiz wrote:Hey Terry

thanks for posting...

When I get the BOM I might pop back and get some eyes run over it...

I was wondering about resistors.... carbon comp, metal film. vishays etc..

It's really tricky recommending components where I don't know much about the rest of the signal chain.

Years ago I did repairs on an old Ampex 351 mic pre for a pro audio client. It had mainly old Allen Bradley carbon comp R's and a variety of C's. It had a lot of spurious noise which took a few goes to get rid of completely due to the random nature. I first replaced a bunch of CC resistors (with new carbon / metal film), asked the client 'does it still sound the same' - 'yep, still sounds great'. Did a second round of component changes, CC R's etc, client - "yep still sounds the same - great" In this case and his signal chain they didn't seem to make much difference. And this guy has got good ears. I figured this was a pretty colored pre (IP / OP traffos / tubes etc) so that seemed to dominate.

However later I was testing a DAC I had designed / built which had HQ film OP coupling cap, from memory a Relcap Tin/Polyprop. I swappedin a pair of esoteric Mundorf caps, same value and it made a big difference to my surprise.

So what I'm saying (in a long winded way) is it seems to vary a lot as to how much difference they make and it is not always predictable. So my advice is always don't throw too much money at esoteric components until you definitely find a spot where you can hear 'em.

WRT Redd 47 - it's a pretty simple direct circuit, I like it a lot. Components may well make a difference. I'm tempted to build a few myself.

What transformers did you use?

cheers
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Postby Wiz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:57 pm

I a m still,waiting to get the PCB and case...

I think the bom calls for custom made sowters.

Will know more early next week.

Thanks for the info
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to D.I.Y.