Soudproof Studio room for sale

This is the place to advertise gear YOU OWN that's for sale, for hire or gear you'd like to own.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Soudproof Studio room for sale

Postby Milo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

The owner of this construction - for sale due to a change in plans - has run it by Rick, who has confirmed that the price is about right.

PREFABRICATED SOUNDPROOF ROOM (Ideal for Sound studio)

$16,500

The purpose of the soundproof room is to create a quiet work environment which significantly reduces external noise from entering the room and sound created within the room from escaping to the outside environment.

To meet this challenge we designed a free standing pre-fabricated soundproof room of modular construction with internal dimensions of 4m x 4m (16 sq. m) and a height of 2.8m. Due to changed circumstances, we were unable to complete the project and have dismantled it, and we are now offering it for sale at materials cost only. All the hard work has been done and it would take two competent people less than three days to assemble the basic structure. We are happy to explain how it is assembled, or we can arrange to have it erected on your site for an additional cost to be negotiated.

Each of the 4 walls consists of 3 modules. Each module measures 1200mm x 2800mm x 150mm, except in the case of the front wall where there are 2 x 900mm modules either side of the window module which is 1800mm wide. The modules are connected by internal bolts. The walls meet at corner modules which tie the structure together, similarly with internal bolts. The modules are fabricated from a 70mm x 35mm treated pine frame with 2 x 18mm thick sheets of MDF on either side (total of 4 sheets). Between each sheet a high density noise isolating membrane is placed and the 70mm internal space formed by the frame is packed with R.2 rated noise isolating batts. The total thickness of the wall modules is approximately 150mm but the resulting noise attenuation factor exceeds that of a 200mm concrete block or masonry wall.

The ceiling rests on 7 beams which slot into pockets in the top of the side wall modules. The ceiling material consists of 2 layers of high density flooring material again separated by a high density sound isolating membrane and covered with a layer of R.3 rated noise isolating batts.

A soundproof entrance is provided by 2 solid core doors with an air gap of approximately 100mm between them and each door is fitted with seals to provide maximum sound isolation.

Ventilation is provided by a silent low speed baffled exhaust system and air intake occurs via a silent baffled inlet vent system which eliminates the possibility of compromising the integrity of all other noise isolation measures.

The structure is free-standing without attachment to the walls or ceiling of the host property and meets relevant engineering and fire safety standards. The design philosophy adopted in this project has been to provide an effective solution to the challenges it sets out to resolve whilst at the same time making it possible to dis-assemble and remove it in less than one day without affecting the host property in any way.

The package includes all pre-assembled modules with R.2 noise isolating batts, 7 x LVL ceiling beams, ceiling sections with R.3 noise isolating batts, 2 x solid core doors, 2 x 12mm tempered glass sheets for the window (each measuring 1450mm x 120mm), electrical wiring for lighting and 3 x double power points, data and telephone wiring, 75 ohm coaxial antenna wiring, all switch wall plates and power and data sockets, assorted seals, screws, bolts, hinges, door handles and other hardware.

Internal wall lining, e.g. carpet or curtains, will need to be supplied by the purchaser, and as much advice as necessary will be provided by us to assist in the completion of the project.

DIMENSIONS
External width: 4.3 metres
External depth: 4.3 metres
External height: 2.85 metres (plus layer of R.3 batts)
Internal width: 4 metres
Internal depth: 4 metres
Internal height: 2.8m
Approx. weight: 3 tonnes

Email me for pics, which include the room both constructed and disassembled, packed ready for transport

Thanks

Milo
John Summers
Milo

Re: Soudproof Studio room for sale

Postby rick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:38 pm

I know the owner of the room , good man, been in the game a lot longer then me ! and universally respected .

In theory and almost certainly in practice you could buy this room bolt it together and have a sound "reduced" room

there is no such thing as a soundproof room at this level of things ( add another zero and sure no sound in or out ) but radically and usably sound reduced is a fair term , to me it shows all the signs of a great thing .

If you have the space/ buy it bolt the panels together and your away .

At the end of the day its prebuilt box , the internal sound will still need some treatment tailored for your own use , but so does everything and this is already sorted for mals previous use

I talked it through with mal the price represents only the cost of materials , not the design or labour .

I have made a few rooms like this for clients so that is certainly correct

Ian cooper had one built by richard riddle that we sold on the forum some years back.. so if cutting miles of wood is beyond you but making lego blocks isn't
its the cheapest and best way forward

believe me.. designing panels that are liftable an bolt together and are straight and all fit is bloody hard work ,

because of this fact ( making panels is dusty shitty work )
I cottoned on to an all steel prebuilt room from a company that builds steel acoustic doors and stuff for my $$ builds and organised for Nick ( waitup) wade and olly to buy it, and assemble in my building
their studio was put up in record time and cost
and is now "rolodex sound v2" .. their steel version its probably 4 times as heavy and spec'd and the list price of it was $65,000 "as is where is "

I did a deal as i was running a lot of other business through the factory , and had it brought down in price pretty close to this one by simply explaining , thats all sound guys could ever afford !

Nicks room is smaller and simply not viable without a forklift .

Mal says these wooden panels are liftable by two strong guys .

Its perfect for somebody and a curiosity for the rest of us , but get the photos do you floor plan maths and buy with confidence.
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby waitup » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:49 am

rick wrote:Nicks room is smaller and simply not viable without a forklift .

Ours is bigger but who's counting ;)
Nick Franklin
Record Producer: http://www.nickfranklin.net
Custom Built Audio Electronics: http://www.nfaudio.com
waitup
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby waitup » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:01 pm

If someone can make this work though it's such a good option. You just cant build a studio for that money from scratch. And you can't build one that fast. We were 6 weeks from move in to first session, and that included full internal fitout.

There's some photos of the build process here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 44e1f98833
Nick Franklin
waitup
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby simonstav » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Hey Nick

Is your whole room supported on the Dexion?
Regards Simon
simonstav
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby waitup » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Structural engineer gave us the go-ahead on the mez to far above the weight of the room. All the bands I mix are starving and skinny too so I think we're good.

simonstav wrote:Hey Nick

Is your whole room supported on the Dexion?
Nick Franklin
waitup
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby simonstav » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11 pm

I think the weight of all the panels at 150Kg a piece and 600kg I beam far outweigh the amount of people that would fit in the room, fat or skinny.
Regards Simon
simonstav
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby waitup » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:12 pm

Hehe, I know, I was kidding.

Sorry, we have derailed the original post. Just wanted to say modular is a real option, and I would recommend.

simonstav wrote:I think the weight of all the panels at 150Kg a piece and 600kg I beam far outweigh the amount of people that would fit in the room, fat or skinny.
Nick Franklin
waitup
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to For Sale / For Hire / Gear Wanted