Valve tips?

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Valve tips?

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:47 am

Hi guys I'm currently in Germany and am thinking about buying some valves while I'm here for my Rode K2 microphone as an experiment. The type is ECC88 I'm looking for. I want to get a few different ones as I'm interested in hearing what differences they all make to the sound. I wanted to get some guidence for buying them.

What to avoid or what to look out for? What do the numbers mean when they are closer (balanced) and is it better to get ones with higher values over lower values? Does a lower value mean lower signal or more noise? The lower value valves are lower in price here but will they still be ok?

http://koschuh.com/ECC88-E88CC-6DJ8-6922/artikel.html

I need as much help as I can get.
thanks guys.
Lee McDonald
"A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other's"
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Valve tips?

Postby zenelectro » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm pretty sure Rode K2 is similar to NTK, a hybrid (tube + SS) circuit that uses tube as a unity gain follower running in
constant current mode. Not the best circuit from a warmth / natural sound POV so you want to put a tube
in there that will bend it more this way.

What this also means in plain English is that different tube current (Gm) ratings won't make too much difference.

I'd go for Amperex or 2nd choice Mullard. If he has any Amperex with the little Bugle Boy logo, they
are great musical sounding tubes.
Terry Demol
T & L Technical P/L
Audio Design & Service
zenelectro

Re: Valve tips?

Postby Djembe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:30 am

I've tried Mullard and Siemens in mine and they both sound great. Big improvement over the stock valves.
Blair Greenberg
Djembe
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum