music for the ears

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Postby philly » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:44 pm

I went to one of the Cockatoo Island days and there was a band called Coda ( i think) playing. Does anyone know anything about them? dont seem to hear much about them but they played some of the best music Id heard in a long time.

Some of my favourite stuff of the last few years would be Calexico's Feast of Wire, The Magnet album and the first Goldfrapp album. Thats the first one ...not the second. No...not the second.
philly

Postby Henry » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:50 am

Tell you what I never listen to, Black Music and Female singers. Hate them both as a generalisation.

After Stevie Wonder it all went down hill. And these "he's a bastard" whining women songs are all crap. I'd rather listen to a blunt circular saw cut through concrete.

I wish they'd all go back to stealing/progressive dance lessons and leave the music thing alone.

Just think of the brilliant songwriters who will never be heard because of these 2 insipid groups throwing dust into the airwaves!
Henry

Postby Luke Garfield » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:45 am

I am really enjoying at the moment:

Internationally:
Grace - Jeff Buckley. Reading his/his father's bio atm so you listen to the songs with new insight. Andy Wallace what a producer.

Locally:
Lior's album has some vibe. Enjoyed his live show though a little more improvised and soulful than the takes on the album.
A band called "Cotton Side Walk" look out for them soon. They are Newcastle guys and girl who I love to see live - i hope for their sake their new EP (which I haven't heard) does them justice.
Lout - hey it's my own band but you gotta like what you write or you wouldn't be doing it? Hear for yourself www.purevolume.com/lout (blatant self promo)

Previous comments about Black music and female singers. Don't cut off your ears to spite your taste. There are some talented black musicians (females) who reside in the top 40 (and outside of it). I'm loving some of the clever arrangements being used in pop music - minimalism and really upfront clean sounds is a trend atm which I'm liking. Snoop Dog and Pharrel's track & Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl"

Luke.
Luke Garfield

Postby Henry » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:12 pm

Yeah, they are great and I love them as much as MC Hammer and Bobby Brown. There all such talented muso's makes you wanna give up.
Henry

Postby philly » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:09 pm

[quote="Luke Garfield"] Don't cut off your ears to spite your taste.
Luke.[/quote]

Oh..... thats good.
philly

Postby Luke Garfield » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:38 pm

haha - you slay me henry

any one for golf??
Luke Garfield

Postby Henry » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:30 pm

Their music is about as important as the crap clothes they wear. Completely throw away. In 10 years they all sound like painted clowns with profoundly inadequate vocabularies. I'd rather hear the black and white minstrels.
Henry

Postby Mark Bassett » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:45 am

Tell you who I never listen to, racists and misogynists.
Mark Bassett
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Luke Garfield » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:56 pm

Top 40 is a funny beast. I'm liking what I'm hearing at the moment cause you can see a change coming - well I can - not sure of where it will go.

MC hammer the man is a pop culture icon - I love it! The song "can't touch this" is still a great song. It's still art - pop art but still art.

Bobby Brown well I never dug those tunes that much.

Sure Pharrel is a flavour at the moment and he's brought some cool stuff to the table. Snoop Dog cracks me up and depresses me at the same time - it's a culture thing - I never get that Hip Hop ego but they do some cool things with rhythm and rhyme.

Gwen is obviously doing the marketing thing but I really dig the arrangements and productions in her stuff. I don't know what her input was in the writing producing process. And I love the lets steal a little from Queen with the rhythm section from "hollerback girl".

Pop is fun. There are some really really clever guys behind the music. I can't believe how long Brittany got away with roughly the same drums sounds and rhythms for so long - it makes me laugh.

I'm interested why pop music makes so many "serious" musicians angry? If you're a serious musician/producer/engineer, seriously, go and make some music, arrange a song or learn some more physics, something! Leave the journalists to write scathing reviews opinions. Their use of the english language is far more eloquent (mostly) and they don't end up looking like...what was that Mark? ...racists and misogynists ...

Luke.
Luke Garfield

Postby Henry » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:38 pm

I'm not rascist, I hate ALL foreigners.....Equally! lol!

I don't hate women either, just the ones who find their way on the top 40 bitching about being dumped for being ugly. Which, I might add, is just about every single one(oops....sorry your not allowed to say anything bad about a woman even though they can slag men ad nauseum , they might start crying)
Henry

Postby Luke Garfield » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:10 pm

Now you're just being funny Henry.

Open another bottle of red ... thats what I'm gonna do.

Back on topic..

Billy Holliday - black woman arguably the best female jazz vocalist. I dig, just listening to her today.

So much good music - so little time.
Luke Garfield

Postby timo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:25 pm

oh you know who i love so much in pop right now
ricki lee
that film clip of her's is just
i duno just so dam good
no really
love that fake tan she's got going
maybe she was cost cutting and got her mum to do the make up
and im sure some high school film and tv student
produced that clip
ahh and those dancers wow! what can ya say
and i havent even touched on the music
im prety sure that backing track was composed on someones
mobile telephone...
all i can say gota love DIY

so anyone bought the single ? <----insert australia wide silence
mmm cant wait for the album

i love this industry
blow jobs anyone
timo

Postby Martinez » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:38 pm

Hey Man,

leave Ricki lee alone! she got booted from American, I mean Australian poodle because people forgot to vote for her or something and that makes her a hero man!

And there is nothing wrong with the backing track!
that nokia tone is much sought after I'll have you know!
Martinez

Postby Luke Garfield » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:14 pm

Ouch you guys are really serious hey?

Look, Henry raised the point of these "un-serious" artist throwing their musical dust into the airwaves and that obscuring more "serious" artists. It's the music business guys. It's business. It's still music though. It's a game art and business plays - it's hilarious and suprising at times.

If the music you listen to is left of centre and obscure I'm afraid that not everyone will dig it. I love music like that - Just bought Brian Eno's "Another Day on Earth". The fact of the matter is "serious" musicians would have probably been cursing the Beatles in the 60's saying how they're taking over the market with their mass marketed capitalist propaganda yada yada whinge whinge.

If we are serious about what we do we'll just do it and stop wasting time complaining about something which WILL NOT CHANGE.

Luke.
Luke Garfield

Postby Martinez » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:28 pm

Ya know Mike Patton has something interesting to say about this topic,
and that is,

Basically you can try and blame record company low lives, you can try and blame the public but you can't hold them responsible cuz they don't like to think for themselves because that takes courage and most people don't have any of that, plus their pretty stupid anyway, they just sit in front of the idiot box drooling on themselves,
so the buck has to stop with the artist really, because if they didn't produce the crap no one would buy it to roll in!

its up to the artist to show damn back bone for once!
you can argue that everyone has to make a living and that music is a business like everything else, well if that's the case you may as well drop your instrument, pick up a gun and go become a hitman. With that kind of attitude you've got no buiness being part of the industry!

piss off and go crap on someone else's garden cuz I've heard all the arguments and justifications before, despite what you say your shit dosn't smell like roses and it dosn't help the garden grow, cuz everyone has the same attitude and your just smothering it!

Ps. could product placement in video clips be anymore blatant lately!
Martinez

Postby Luke Garfield » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:19 pm

Now now there's no need to start using profanities.

I like what mike patton has to say up until the point he starts to criticise the general public and basically say they are retards.

Look I understand the sentiments. I still cringe when I watch certain music videos and hear certain songs. But I use the experience to benifit me as a composer and as an artist.

I am not saying I support the blatant "capitalism" of music (for want of a better description). I am interested in the music on purely artistic level. See what got this particular tangent started was Henry painting black and women artists with a very broad brush. Leading me to counter by saying that "musically" I think there are some interesting things to be learnt from the top 40 - put aside you rage at the injustice to genuine artists and see it for what it is. Do real artists want to be a part of that anyway??

I think it's a rather romantic idea to slog your guts out but know you've been true to yourself, find that 100's or more other people have heard your music connected with it and you've been able to have a career with integrity. In the end "the buck has to stop with the artist" as you said.

So let's make some art and stop all the "feuding and the fussing" (Cletus - The Simpsons)
Luke Garfield

Postby Martinez » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:48 pm

actualy Luke it was me who was calling the general public retards, after all retards is as retards does.

but actualy that wasn't my point, my point was it annoys the hell out of me when people ride the gravy train because their to guttless to try and derail it.

cudows to you Lisa, I mean Luke it doesn't sound like your one of those.

for the most part I'm afraid that I have to agree with Henry about a majority of todays black music.
on the most part.

by the way, I play some out there like pluto styles of music.
as I see it there is two things that all forms of good music have in common
Rythym and melody, ...............my point?

if you don't get anywhere with your music and your trying a long time, you should probably go and learn to write music.

if your music is that obscure then I hope you like it!
chances are no one else will.

P.s. Lucky I can write music, cuz I sure as hell can't write english.
Martinez

Postby Luke Garfield » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:33 pm

Hey Martinez,

Sorry if I seem to be offending you. I'm just offering up some ideas.

I'm a retard? I've been called worse.

Lisa? I like to wear a bit of eye make-up now and then (I think that's what you meant)

Yeah my music's obscure, sort of like Werner or Schoenberg 12 tone serial compositions. Nah just kidding ;-) It's not really that obscure alternative rock.

Will see how I go with my tunes but if I'm still struggling I'll PM you about getting some tips ;-)

Ur english aint that bad mate. I'd like to hear some of your tunes too (serious)

Cheers,

Luke.
Luke Garfield

Postby Ausrock » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:58 pm

Would someone care to define the word "serious" as it is currently being used to describe a certain group of musicians.

8)
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jason Dirckze » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:18 pm

Luke Garfield wrote:Lisa? I like to wear a bit of eye make-up now and then (I think that's what you meant)

Really? I thought it was a simpsons quote....
Martinez wrote:Cudows to you, Lisa

In response to your;

Luke Garfield wrote:So let's make some art and stop all the "feuding and the fussing" (Cletus - The Simpsons)
Jason Dirckze

Postby Martinez » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:24 pm

Luke!

I absolutley wasn't having a go at you Mate, or anyone else on this site!
I was just making general observation about music and musicians.
I bet your music is great luke please! I didn't me to offend you.

that lisa remark was a simpsons quote from the lisa lion heart episode,
I put it in since you seem to like simpsons quotes.

Cheers

Martinez.
Martinez

Postby Luke Garfield » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:53 pm

No worries mate.

No offence taken.

Cheers,

Luke.
Luke Garfield

Postby Luke Garfield » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:17 pm

Just saw a stellar gig in Sydney last night at the Vanguard by a friend of mine from Lismore. Luke Vasella, he is definitely worth a listen and it'd be a shame for you not to hear him.

An excellent lyricist.
Luke Garfield

Previous

Return to The Turtlerock Forum