Arp omni 2 synth

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Arp omni 2 synth

Postby rick » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:14 am

in my travels the other night i found a guy with 3 of these things in his junk / i should sell these one day pile
anybody want them ...?
anybody know anything about them ..?

i guess i would put this in the "dont know if they work , spare parts / wow guess what i found and they cleaned up fine list"
rick

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:12 pm

They would need some re-capping as they have over 200 tantalum caps in them and they would all need replacing, just like any ARP, if the machine is to be at all reliable. The Omni uses a couple for each key, plus power supply decoupling.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rick » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:23 pm

ouch , but are they are machine worth having ..?
rick

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:32 pm

rick wrote:ouch , but are they are machine worth having ..?

If they are all sort of working then it is probably worth getting them all done. Otherwise could 3 be cannibalised to make 1 or 2 good ones?
Sounds like a lot of parts have to be replaced, in any case....

I haven't actually played an Omni, but they do have a string sound that is quite popular. Does that make it worth doing?

rachel
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:50 pm

They do have the classic solina-ish string sound, with a token polysynth section, so they are a good 1 trick pony. The downside is that the machine is not truly polyphonic, in that it only has 1 filter and 1 envelope generator for the whole machine, so it is more like an organ. You have to select either single or multiple triggering, so you can't play it in the same way as say a JP-8 or prophet. Basically you could hold down every key on the machine and they would all play, but all through 1 VCF and envelope. The Korg Poly800 was the same.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:56 pm

Thirteen wrote:They do have the classic solina-ish string sound, with a token polysynth section, so they are a good 1 trick pony. The downside is that the machine is not truly polyphonic, in that it only has 1 filter and 1 envelope generator for the whole machine, so it is more like an organ. You have to select either single or multiple triggering, so you can't play it in the same way as say a JP-8 or prophet. Basically you could hold down every key on the machine and they would all play, but all through 1 VCF and envelope. The Korg Poly800 was the same.

And the VP-330, too. It annoys me - I get a nice string line going and then the envelope retriggers and sounds glitchy. I've learnt to hold down
a key all the time and only let it retrigger when I want it too. But I like that sound.

I have always liked the Solina sounds too, but always put off getting one since every Solina
I have seen seems to have been made from some sort of rotten cardboard type compound. I missed out on someone's Solina once, that was fitted into
a new Jarrah case. If that one ever comes by again...... Does the Omni match the Solina in terms of string sounds?

rachel
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:03 pm

It is quite close sonically, and I agree with you about the Solina, you have to take a broom with you everywhere you take the synth to clean up the MDF flakes.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Just been doing some googling (supposed to be working, but I am a good multi-tasker)
but the Omni seems to have a pretty good track record, in spite of
it's shortcomings. People seem to love them, in spite of the reliability.
They do not appear to go for vast amounts of money, though.

rachel
rachelp

Return to Vintage Synth Forum