What do I get next?

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

What do I get next?

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:23 pm

I've got a nice collection of analogues, but I was wondering what a good one to get next might be.
I have a good wide palette of sounds but am always looking for something else exotic to make noises with.

I've got a MiniMoog, Roland and Korg synths but don't have an Oberheim or ARP. I sort of always liked the
idea of an Oberheim OB series, but I have heard they can be fraught with lots of problems. What about an ARP?

What else is out there of interest that isn't impossible to come by parts for?
If you've got a good collection of the usual suspects, what's the good ones to fill in the gaps with!?

(edit) BTW, I am greedy and don't really need anything else, but I'm just speculating.....

rachel
rachelp

Postby Jason Dirckze » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:51 pm

How about a new analogue? Something from DSI perhaps... the Prophet 08 looks interesting.
Jason Dirckze

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Jason Dirckze wrote:How about a new analogue? Something from DSI perhaps... the Prophet 08 looks interesting.

Hmmm Prophet 08. I swapped my MC-202 for a few months, to try out the Evolver and then swapped back.
I've got a Sequential Multitrak, which sounds nothing like a prophet, but it was designed by Dave Smith. That one might be
interesting. I like some of the new retro analogues (got a Moog Phatty, too!).

I thought of the Prophet 08, to replace my PolySix...... are these in Australia yet?

rachel
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Do you want mono or poly? what about an Akai VX600... 6 voice, analog, (including VCO's), Akai's answer to the Oberheim expander. Instead of another synth, what about some Moog pedals, like a Murf? What about starting to put together a .com modular? ARP's are getting pretty expensive, an Odyssey 3 would be nice. Waldorf microwave?

BUT.. What about a Waldorf Blofeld... Cheap, PPG wavetable fun, and takes up no space. That would be my next new synth purchase.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Jason Dirckze » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:19 pm

rachelp wrote:I thought of the Prophet 08, to replace my PolySix...... are these in Australia yet?

I believe they are... I think musiclink were advertising them as in stock. I've been thinking about an ESQ-1 digital/analogue hybrid. Or maybe I should learn how to program my DX7mkII FD before I buy anymore synths
Jason Dirckze

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:25 pm

Thirteen wrote:Do you want mono or poly? what about an Akai VX600... 6 voice, analog, (including VCO's), Akai's answer to the Oberheim expander. Instead of another synth, what about some Moog pedals, like a Murf? What about starting to put together a .com modular? ARP's are getting pretty expensive, an Odyssey 3 would be nice. Waldorf microwave?

BUT.. What about a Waldorf Blofeld... Cheap, PPG wavetable fun, and takes up no space. That would be my next new synth purchase.

I haven't had a close look at the Blofeld. I guess I should.... .....someone has a System 100m on ebay right now, for $1699.......
I've never seen the VX600 - those Akai analogues are great. Didn't know they made a little one! And the .com - that is something
I have to plan but I think it's a good idea, too! I don't mind whether the synth is mono or poly, but I like lots of control. Working with computers
all day just makes me want to play with something with lots of analogue control at night, as you do.......

[i[/i]
rachelp

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:30 pm

Jason Dirckze wrote:
rachelp wrote:I thought of the Prophet 08, to replace my PolySix...... are these in Australia yet?

Or maybe I should learn how to program my DX7mkII FD before I buy anymore synths

I used to make a tiny living doing that! I just "retired" my old DX7 IIFD to the garage when I bought the Phatty.
I installed an E! board in mine and produced a fashion show and an art exhibition soundtrack with it. I wrote about 500 or so patches for
it and sold some to Patchpro or Kid Nepro or whatever they call themselves these days. They had a little algorithm of their own
that could tell if you made a new patch from scratch or just cheated and tweaked a few parameters. If they thought you just tweaked
an existing patch, you didn't get your $1.50! I wrote a lot of Breath Control patches for the DX and still have my chewed up old BC1 right here
in front of me.
rachelp

Postby Jason Dirckze » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Thats awesome!

I just can't find the motivation to sit down and read through the manual to fully understand FM synthesis. The DX7 has been reduced to my master controller for my other synths, which is just a shame.
Jason Dirckze

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Jason Dirckze wrote:Thats awesome!

I just can't find the motivation to sit down and read through the manual to fully understand FM synthesis. The DX7 has been reduced to my master controller for my other synths, which is just a shame.

Funny you should say that. Mine ended up the same way, but I got the analogue bug all over again and decided it was time to move away from the DX.

The E! board was truly great. It turned the DX7 II into a kind of workstation, with 8 part multi timbral voices and a 16 track sequencer. The best part
was the phrase engine, which could "strum" arpeggios and play string arrangements on one finger. Sounds cheesy, but it wasn't. If I had room
I would setup the DX again, but I don't have the space for it yet. I always found FM synthesis easy to get my mind around. The bit I always got stuck
on was the envelopes, especially for brass patches, as I needed to get the expression through the BC1 and using velocity & attack to give you the edge of the
brass sound. So a sax patch would sound fairly dead on the keyboard, but you could blow it via the BC1 and the envelopes would jump in and
give the sound the movement. Unless you used the breath control, the patch was quite ordinary. My BC is chewed on the end and has my teeth prints in it
I used it so much! I wouldn't mind knowing how to adapt it to use with an analogue, perhaps as a filter or resonance controller. That would
be very useful, because you can circular breathe with the BC just like a djiridu and get wokka wokka 303 sounds with it!

I wonder how many other DX owners there are out there, who have gone back to analogue?

rachel
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:52 am

Jason Dirckze wrote:Thats awesome!

It's weird that this thread took this direction, yesterday I put an old book onto ebay called "Yamaha DX7 Digital Synthesizer" by Yasuhiko Fukuda which is a step by step guide to every control on a DX7. I never really got my head around programming the DX series, I used to have a Synclavier II and it was great because it made FM much easier and quicker.
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Ausrock » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:13 am

Damn Rachel....................I have trouble just turning my M1 on, let alone doing what you do :-(
Ausrock
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby rachelp » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:21 am

Ausrock wrote:Damn Rachel....................I have trouble just turning my M1 on, let alone doing what you do :-(

Heh - don't make that mistake. My current musical productivity wholly revolves around jamming with myself on
the MiniMoog over an endless loop. I sometimes think I just want to play Moog solos all night, instead of recording "real" music.
Problem is, no one ever gets to hear it because it's kind of boring (not for me...).....

rachel
rachelp

Return to Vintage Synth Forum