Straw Bale Construction

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Straw Bale Construction

Postby OzDrum » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:55 pm

So what can you tell us about Straw Bale Construction??

We are moving to a larger premises and are seriously looking into this option of construction - among other things the factory will also include 7-10 Rehearsal Studios as well as a Recording Studio / Control Room - mainly recording bands.

We have found a bit of info on the net but would love to check out any Australian studios who have used this construction method - are there any? We are located in Melbourne's South East.
It seems that straw bale construction is a definate alternative to double stud walls with rockwool insulation. - also being eco-friendly! :D

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Geoff Mison
PONY MUSIC
www.ponymusic.com.au
OzDrum

strawbale

Postby url » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:53 pm

i'd say go for it. i'd do the same myself if i had the space. you'll have good density for absorption and sound proofing plus ease of construction and flexibilty in shape. There are plenty of strawbale house plans so just follow them. i was interviewing the owner of this studio which is strawbale.

http://www.alteredstaterecords.com/strawbalestudio.html

but I haven't spoken to him for a few months. look around for recycled hardwood timbers for framing (nice!) and relax in the soulfull feel of knowing you have done well by the earth. good luck.

earth first!
url

Postby Adam Dempsey » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:48 am

Adam Dempsey

Postby Martinez » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:23 pm

Good call Adam,

looks like a great place to record.

sorta like the studio that I would like to build.
Martinez

Postby url » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:05 pm

awesome. great use of bottles for windows - excellent. interesting they left it unrendered, more abosorption, less reflection. i wonder how dusty it gets?
url

Postby miletus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:26 am

no dust problems, other than regular atmospheric stuff. There was a bit of loose straw fallout at the start, but not now that it has settled in. Great acoustics.
miletus

Postby url » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:40 am

off topic slightly but a school down the road has just built a strawbale classroom with students and teachers involved in its construction. saved them heaps of $$$, kids got hands on building skills, the building has soul and pride and ownership has been reunited with education. brings a little tear really. i'll be heading over there in two weekends to help with the render which has been opened to the community.

now audio guys, what are you doing with your e-waste?? since we are big users of electronic products we should form a lobby group to force govt to get electronic recycling in place - i personally cannot stomach it going to land fill - i [b]HATE[/b] that.
url

Postby Howard Jones » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:58 pm

No audio person has ever been known to part with anything. Certainly not to throw it out (maaate, this is a classic bit of gear, gotta be worth a small fortune!)... but if they decide to do so in future and are based in Sydney, there is a newly opened e-waste recycling depot in St Leonards.
Howard Jones
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby seb » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:12 pm

ive still got 10 year old hard drives, 32 meg rams that i cant throw out.
thats sad. as well as broken fx racks, xlr cables, that I will!!! fix one day.
yeh sure
seb

Postby JulienG » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:01 am

Apart from computers wouldn't any gear with the be!@#$%^& badge on it be considered e-waste?
JulienG
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby url » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:12 am

motherboards and the like are salvagable for precious metals. steel and metal alloys can be recycled. we have a pc recycler here in heidelberg (vic) - called hmr - that will take that stuff. they took my old tv - thank + - they have a massive crt crusher, one of the few in australia i think. crt's of course being filled with toxic lead.
url

Postby Luke Garfield » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:08 pm

Well a little more on topic (not that the previous post aren't interesting - i had never thought about e-waste like that before).

A guy I know was telling me his brother is building a mastering room from bales and he is going to have moving walls so you can change the dimensions of the room (after it is built). Has anyone heard of this before??

I don't know much more about the project except it has been a long term thing.

Luke.
Luke Garfield

Postby Adam Dempsey » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:07 pm

Not heard of it for mastering rooms & I doubt any pro mastering engineer would condone an adjustable acoustic reference at the mastering stage. I don't (& that's why the nearfields here sit unused on the floor unless requested by a client and that's not happened in years..). You need to know the room & monitoring *that* well.
Adam Dempsey

Postby rick » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:45 pm

moving the walls After they are built from haybails ?
umm changing the walls to a better spot is a viable option with haybails if you stuff the room geometry but getting the shape right in the first place is a better idea.
the thing about haybails is before you render them you can actually knock them down or up in a day so its possible to see how a wall works and move it if it doesnt sound right
but the thing is after you render them its impossible
a better idea is shoot for a bigger room then make it smaller if you need to.

and i presume we are not talking about moving walls to suit different sessions ...?

how is the sound transmission on that unrendered bail studio in country NSW posted in this thread ?
does the sound leak out without rendering?
what about in the vox over booth ..?
rick

Return to The Turtlerock Forum