I've cleaned out the garage...

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

I've cleaned out the garage...

Postby Sheer Noise » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi all,

So I finally got around to seeing what I could find hiding in the old storage area...

Seems I have an SH101, which I'm familiar with, but also a Roland VP-330 and Yamaha CS-30 which I'm not so familiar with. Anyone know about these two in particular? Are they worth restoring to their former glory?

Some images below.

Dave.

----------------------

Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: I've cleaned out the garage...

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Sheer Noise wrote:Hi all,

So I finally got around to seeing what I could find hiding in the old storage area...

Seems I have an SH101, which I'm familiar with, but also a Roland VP-330 and Yamaha CS-30 which I'm not so familiar with. Anyone know about these two in particular? Are they worth restoring to their former glory?

Some images below.

Dave.

----------------------

Hi,
I have a Roland VP-330 myself. It's a string ensemble and more importantly, a very musical vocoder. It's pretty much
a one trick pony, but it's a good one! I use mine mostly for the vox and string sound which you will hear
on the Bladerunner soundtrack. I love the depth. The best example of the vocoder is Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" which sums up the VP-330
rather well. These fell out of favour for a long time but they go for quite a bit of money if they are still working now.

I saw a VP-330 go on ebay.au about a month ago for in excess of $2000. I got mine for a lot less and although it
has a lot of flaws, like the keyboard env retrigger (it's a paraphonic keyboard), I love the flavour of the sound.
I would say if it is in reasonable order and it is well worth cleaning up and getting serviced. Even if you do not
use it yourself, if it is moderately servicable order, you will probably be able to sell it on as I know there are people
chasing these things all the time.

The CS-30 is a good mono synth - in fact it's practically duophonic. It's also got a cool step sequencer and I think it
was one of the more complex CS mono's (not talking about CS60 and 80 here!). I have only seen and played a couple
of these and they were all beat up. I think the CS-30 is also really worth giving a clean up and a service if it
is not too far gone. I always liked the CS-30 but when I had the opportunity to buy one, it was very beat up
and I bought a DX-100 instead :roll:

rachel

(edit) Just did a bit of digging - it was confusing me! You have a CS30L which is not quite the same as a CS30. The CS30
has the sequencer, but the CS30L is a cutdown model with the tolex case and there should be a set of legs somewhere, Still a nice
synth, but lacking the step sequencer.....
rachelp

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:24 am

All nice synths, and worth as pretty penny as well. The vocoders seem to be fetching crazy money at the moment, from memory they have more features than the rack version. I have a CS-30 in the workshop at the moment for modding, they are a very nice sounding synth if you are into the Yamaha sound. Chip availability is an issue with them as they were made at the height of Yamaha's "Lets make lot's of custom chips for everything (because we can)" stage. The SH101 is also a neat machine, just hope that there weren't any batteries in it while it sat in the garage...
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Sheer Noise » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:15 pm

battery compartment was empty... I'm pretty sure I also have the little guitar handle thing for it somewhere as well!

Dave
Sheer Noise
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby NYMo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi there,

Ahhhh...the days we were blowing red and blue ones with mod grip out for $99 !! (sigh)

Cheers
N
Y
M
O
NYMo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum