drum mics

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

drum mics

Postby Barney Loveland » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:06 pm

Am looking for some ideas/suggestions for a hi hat mic and does anyone have any experience/own the Audix D6 mic? thanks
Barney Loveland
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby anj » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:49 pm

ive heard good things about the audix d6 and the sehnisser 602 , but havnt had the chance to audition them yet.

Cant go wrong with an akg 451 on hats.
anj

Postby JustinS » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:09 pm

AKG 451's always sound too bright for me on hats, can't really go wrong with a Neumann KM84 or an Octava 012 - I have heard 57's sound good on hats also (never tried it myself)...

Justin.
JustinS

Postby Henry » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:45 pm

Try a D112 through a pultec.
Henry

Postby chris p » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:41 pm

Nice one Henry ... (pulls Pulteq out of his back pocket).

The Audix D6 got a write up in AT a few months ago - the bottom line (if that bottle of scotch a day hasn't destroyed my memory) is that is wasn't as punchy (read "hyped" if you will) as a AKG D112 at 100Hz, but had much smoother notches leading up to and around the 1kHz, with similar air at the top end. Something like that. The reviewer was a bit over hyped kick drums, so felt the D6 was good 'cause he used less EQ. My translation - for rock, stick with the D112 - it what people want to hear. For other mellower uses, the D6 may well be your choice. You may also want to check out the dual mic kick drum thing from Audio Technica - it has a phase aligned dynamic and condenser (spearate out leads) all in the one package to get both doof and click out of the kick. Needs two inputs channels, though. Like all mic stuff, there's no "one fits all" easy answer - the skill lies in getting the right mic for the right occasion. Oh yeah, and getting a good drummer. That's actually the most important bit.

A high-hat mic? I'd be loking any half-decent pencil condenser - the Neumann 84s are nicer than "half decent", but be prepared to pay for the badge. Octava 12's are definately also on the right path.

FWIW, I've heard some really nice recording results with a kick drum mic, an SM57 on the snare and a pair of overhead condensers in mid-side configuration - just 4 mics - through headphones the toms just roll around your brain.
chris p
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barney Loveland » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:57 pm

Just bought a pair of Oktave MK 012's for not a lot of cash, will see how they go. Have been using single U87 as OH with good results. Still don't know enough about D6. Have been using D112 and Shure beta 91 combo with good success on kick! Will keep informed.
Barney Loveland
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Henry » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:12 am

D112 thru Pultec on Hihats I meant!
Henry

Postby Linear » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:15 am

here's what i like at the moment:

Electrovoice N/D 868 on kick
Josephson C42MP as overheads
414 on fig of 8 on snare (pointed at side of shell)
MD421's on toms (hardly neccessary)

Try a ribbon on the hat. seems to fit well with overhead mics. Beyer M160 or M260 is good.

Chris
Linear
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chris H » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:30 am

chris p wrote:FWIW, I've heard some really nice recording results with a kick drum mic, an SM57 on the snare and a pair of overhead condensers in mid-side configuration - just 4 mics - through headphones the toms just roll around your brain.

Could not agree more.That setup can produce the best results and i'm surprised more people don't use it. As a set up it doesn't have to be limiting as it can be used in conjunction with close mics and a room mic.
I was fortunate to discuss this with Ross Hogarth a few years ago at Sing Sing and his standard setup for drums was close mics, overheads,spaced or M/S, and a decca tree setup for a roomy sound. Three mics of equal distance from the kick, usually in front. This gives many options during mixing,eg fading out the close mics during a more accoustic or striped down refrain etc.
Chris H
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Postby mfdu » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:49 pm

i just had a ball with a world music kind of group (cello, double bass, acoustic gtr, electric gtr and drums)

the vibe i was looking for worked with :

a chinese clone tube condensor (sorry!) in fig8 as o'head
beta52 on the kik
and then close mic'd toms (akg emote clip-on dynamics) and snare (57 thank you) , eq'd, panned and summed to stereo.

got the overhead sounding good, then brought up kik. dropped kik out and brought up toms. gated and eq'd toms, then brought up snare for the same treatment.

put that into protools on four tracks via 1/2" ampex 499 running 30ips (looped through sync-head).

my plan was to duplicate and phase reverse the o'head fig8 and pan it hard l/r. but the mono has such great vibe i'm tempted to leave it as that.

once my ribbon mic makes it in from the states, i'll be trying the same setup with it as the o'head.

$0.02

chris.
mfdu
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum