Keyboard covers.

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Keyboard covers.

Postby Thirteen » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:24 am

I have noticed that in the states there are several companies making keyboard covers, for instance Gator have stretch covers for 61 and 88 note keyboards. I would like to find some locally, lately I have been guilty of leaving my keyboards uncovered, which is a bit hypocritical as every time I open up a keyboard to fix it I see how much harm dust does to contacts and sliders. Has anyone seen covers for sale in Australia? (There is a sewing machine around here somewhere, but it is way beyond my technical abilities to use it). It would be good to get one for my 02r as well...
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:35 pm

I have a big sheet of bubble wrap I throw over my gear. Then I throw a cloth wrap that I have over it. I also have a Juicy big paint brush
to dust everything down!

rachel
rachelp

Postby Kurt » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:47 am

Towel?
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Thirteen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:33 am

rachelp wrote:I have a big sheet of bubble wrap I throw over my gear. Then I throw a cloth wrap that I have over it. I also have a Juicy big paint brush
to dust everything down!

rachel

Best to use a vacuum cleaner along with the paintbrush so that the dust doesn't get into everything. I have seen the mess that things like ARP sliders get into, and to me dust also seems to be slightly corrosive on exposed metal, maybe it is the pollens?
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby rachelp » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:15 am

I've been working in a "Clean Room" datacentre for the past 2 days. This is a hermetically controlled environment and humidity and temperature
controlled. One of the jobs I did was getting into some filters for the power supplies of a $1.1m supercomputer that actually has to
take power from 2 different power distribution points. My point is, this room is pretty well configured and the manager there is so
paranoid he won't even let cardboard into the room - unfortunately, he does not take into account the great big bags of water, heat and humidity
that are in there, unavoidably, because we have to work in there. I saw rust on the metal work of one of these systems and can only
have come from human contact, because the rust marks are invariably the shape of hand or finger prints and get laid down when the
envio systems are off and allowed to come in contact with bare metal. Likewise one of the filters I had changed
had human hair in (one that was probably mine given the length) and skin flakes. So I think pollen, but also human contact and sweat even in tiny
quantities must be quite corrosive and of course breathing is a another moisture source. No smoking is a good policy ;)

rachel
rachelp

Postby TimS » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:26 am

Hmm, so I guess I should clean and cover my Roland A-33 master keyboard!!
It's been sitting on my studio workbench for some months uncovered!!
Paintbrush and vacuum here we come!!
T..
Last edited by TimS on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimS
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby astrovic » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:28 am

Yep Tim, this thread has got me on the cleaning mission as well...
astrovic
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to Vintage Synth Forum