Headphone amps in the studio

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Headphone amps in the studio

Postby mylesgm » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:40 pm

I need a new headphone amp system for the studio. The system I have has all the functionality I need but not the fidelity. Most rackmount headphone systems make very little sense to me and are pretty budget-grade but I really dislike the distribution selfmix systems like the aviom stuff.

My current system is just an SM Pro Audio HP6 original, 6 stereo headphone amps with four separate stereo inputs and each amp can select which stereo feed it amplifies. The features are prefect for me but the audio quality is pretty iffy perhaps it was decent when I bought it nearly 10yrs ago and it’s been rock solid in operation but I’ve just noticed he audio quality to be pretty rubbish whenever I’ve listened to it recently.

So I want that feature set but with a better sounding more robust amp But there doesn’t seem to be anything out here... so what do you all use for multiple headphone mixes? Obviously I could build or commission what I want but isn’t there something already out there fit for purpose?
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Headphone amps in the studio

Postby Wiz » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:38 am

I got a dual channel one from Rob.... Its killer...

the fidelity is first class...
Peter Knight

Cant ego loquemur Latine

http://www.peterknightmusician.com
Wiz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby audioio » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:54 am

I like the feature set of the be!@#$%^& 4-channel units, including the ability to blend a front-panel injected signal for "more me" or an alternative input, but its sound quality, like similarly priced units, is iffy. A little while ago, I bought a Presonus HP60 and it's definitely a step up from that. It has two stereo ins and each channel can blend between them. But each channel also has a mute switch for that A/B blend and an external in with a mono button and level control.

So you have a choice of A, B, ext mono, ext stereo, A & B blended, A + ext mono, B + ext mono, A + ext stereo, B + ext stereo, A & B blended + ext mono, and A & B blended + ext stereo. The h/p outs are front-panel only, but each channel has (unfortunately unbalanced) line-level outs on the back, so you could run higher-quality "local" amps for each musician if you wanted to.

And there's a talkback mic input (no phantom, but with optional remote switching) that feeds all channels just before the outputs.

I've been thinking lately of maybe building some of those little diyrecordingequipment headphone amps in little boxes and running line level into them.

If you want to listen to the HP60, let me know.
David Rodger
audioio
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby waitup » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Honestly the best solution if you can solder is Joe Malone and Rob Squire's amp head. Easy to turn into little self-mixer option if you want to, easy to add talkback. And best of all robust and loud as hell. I'll never use another system at my place again.
Nick Franklin
Record Producer: http://www.nickfranklin.net
Custom Built Audio Electronics: http://www.nfaudio.com
waitup
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby gigpiglet » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:05 am

rob built me custom ones.
most/ all the functionality you mention.
i have some in "box with a handle" style for the studio, and some rackmount for the portable systems in cases.

they are awesome.

robs work is awesome.
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby mylesgm » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:16 pm

What's that warming sensation you're all experiencing? Yeah, it's me warming up the soldering iron... Thanks for the input!
Myles Mumford
Producer/Composer/Engineer/Sound Artist
Making records in sunny Melbourne

www.mylesmumford.com
mylesgm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to The Turtlerock Forum