Covid sponsored console choices

An audio community like no other.

Moderators: rick, Mark Bassett

Covid sponsored console choices

Postby Lee » Sun May 03, 2020 10:06 am

If one was to access their Super to buy a console which way would you go? I’ve been saving up for an SSL XL desk for a while as I like the sound and the flexibility for mixing and it’s compact. It also fits my budget. Compared to other options in this category include the API box or the new trident 68 which I’m sure sound good but don’t have the same mixing capability. The other option is to buy a second hand console which I’m open to as well. The things pushing me towards a new console is the reliability of working Right away and not having to worry about reliability. The thing pushing me to second hand is I like class A preamps and want the warmth and power of an older console. As I’m not a tech I’m worried about the servicing bills. Are there any consoles out there I should be looking at second hand that would be better on the servicing side? Who’s selling a console I should be considering?
Lee McDonald
"A smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other's"
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Covid sponsored console choices

Postby HA_DA_JA » Sun May 03, 2020 10:31 am

Are you committed to this idea of using super to buy a console? Have you weighed up the pros and cons?
Dale Smith
HA_DA_JA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Sun May 03, 2020 5:36 pm

I think there are few hoops to jump through to access super due to Covid,
but that aside, and being clear that I have no expertise in the area, all the numbers
I've seen suggest that at an average return rate, if you are 40 now and pull 10K out of your super
it will cost you around 32K at retirement, 20K around 64K, so worth doing some homework in regards to the real term
costs of something like early access to super.
As someone who's owned a number of older LFACs, you either get good with a soldering iron or you spend all your time and money on tech visits, and waiting for tech visits.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Lee » Sun May 03, 2020 7:44 pm

Yes I really think it’s more value for me to use now. I need to work quicker as I have a bunch of outboard gear and I’m a little over not having a patchbay and a mixer to work on. Im confident I can make more money using the mixer then sitting in Super as I’m working a lot more on projects. I’ve built JLM and hairball preamps and compressors so I have a little soldering experience but I think I’m more likely to buy new at this stage for reliability purposes.plus in retirement I’m hoping to make music so I’ll need a console :))
Lee McDonald
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chinagraf » Mon May 04, 2020 11:16 am

I guess it depends how you work and what you're working on.
Recalls with the console used to take me forever and bore me to death, especially setting up the patching again.
Not to mention the price of of mini trs patch cords (what's up with that)..
I had about 40 bits of outboard I used regularly and ended up ditching the console and going to setting up everything
as hardware inserts in Pro Tools hanging off SSL converters, made life a dream when you have moved on and get those phone calls a week later saying "aww do you reckon you could split the difference between mix vocal and mix vocal up and run it off again "etc...
Still, vibe wise as the one driving, there's nothing like sitting behind a console with all those faders and coloured lights, so I get your wanting one. The XL looks nice..then again you could get a pretty nice secondhand console for around half that price. Wasn't Gareth selling his Neve 55 a little while back?
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby gigpiglet » Mon May 04, 2020 1:59 pm

hi lee
no comment on the super, but agree with your way of thinking on the console
i recently sold my large format neve, and went back to a neve 8816 summing mixer setup.
i looked at/ priced up a lot of other options (X-desk, XL desk, matrix, API the box, neve 5060 plus sattelite and other bits, and a few other more esoteric options (purple 500 series consoles etc)

for me NONE of the small consoles had all the features i wanted, so for the money i thought it not worth it and went back to something even more simple.
i felt like spending 30 grand to get "halfway" wasnt worth it and id rather spend 5 and get "enough" and keep money in the bank for other things.

not sure if that helps your thought process at all but that was mine!
Gareth Stuckey
gigpiglet productions:presents:recordings
gigpiglet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Lee » Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm

Thanks Gareth that was great help as that’s kind of how I feel. The 8816 and a patch bay is probably all I really need at this stage. I’m doing more research thanks Gareth.
Lee McDonald
Lee
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby a.beck » Wed May 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Just a quick but strong recommendation for the SSL X-Desk. Super clean, lovely sounding summing (I had the AMS Neve box for a while some years ago, and while it's pretty good, it has a very colored sound), with enough routing to both track and mix easily. I have an X-Panda as well, which I'd also recommend, but I think they're discontinued, sadly.

Bang for buck is a 9/10, IMO. Only downside is relatively few inputs on mixdown (maximum 20).
a.beck

Postby rick » Wed May 06, 2020 8:23 pm

I think buying a desk for real bucks unless it’s a money in the bank old neve
Or a brand new I have contracts that need it protools console makes no sense
Unless your stuck with that ssl thing in your brain that only owning one will solve
I get it we want what we want
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby rick » Wed May 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Ohh and the much muted world wide depression that is two quarters away ..
that too
Rick O'Neil
I think we went to different schools together
turtlerockmastering.com
we listen
rick

Postby gregwalker » Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 am

It really comes down to how you want to work. I find these days I'm using less channels on my console which makes recalls much faster, but I'm still reaching out for channel EQs and faders every day which feels good. I'm also often jigging channels to fix minor issues which feels not so good. I'd rate connectability to your outboard as of the utmost importance as that ends up being more than half your sound anyway. On that score the X-Desk looks to be an excellent option. BTW I had the API Box for a trial and found it to be a bit of a tease in terms of features - and something about the look of it put me off.
gregwalker

Return to The Turtlerock Forum