Snare batter head question

Let's talk about kits and mics, new and old. What are you using? What do you want? What's the difference?

Moderators: ChrisW, rick, Mark Bassett

Snare batter head question

Postby HA_DA_JA » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Okay enough is enough I have had these snares sitting downstairs unused and I am going to move them on.
I was a church drummer when the church never had drummer for about 4-6 years so I taught myself and dont play non-chruch styles ( whatever that is ) too well.
But as usual I immersed myself in buying all this drum stuff over the years because it was the cool thing to do at the time.
"Hey look at my latest toy I brought today. Dont know how to use it but I sure hope I look good playing it!"

Anyway the problem is I have one of the earlier Drum Workshop 14*x5" USA made series Maple snares (Aug 2000) and it needs a new top head. This was handmade in California before the factory moved its operations to Mexico. I dont know for the life of me what head would do it justice and I dont want to spend $50 on a head when I will be selling it this month for nowhere near what I paid.
Any suggestion?
Also what this series has the exact same shells as collector series and was handmade between 1998-2000 using the exact same techniques as the Collector Series Snares. They stopped producing these as they were time consuming and competed with their current Collector series snares.
Do you think $500 would be reasonable for this?
Pictures to come when I get all the snares ready to sell.
Cheers for your help
Dale Smith
HA_DA_JA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Snare batter head question

Postby Chinagraf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Remo coated's are around 20 bucks down here. Always sound good.
Chinagraf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Remo Coated Ambassador is the best all-rounder for any snare batter.
DW made in California are OK, but nothing special IMO.
Build quality will be excellent, but they aren't great sounding, just good.
They made some snares with Johnny Craviotto. If it's one of those it would be worth more, also great sounding.
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby HA_DA_JA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 pm

I have received some more info from DW about the snare. I will post all this when I go to sell it but thanks for the replies about the head batter. I have received a number of Pm's and the consensus looks like Remo head with the Dot should do the job fine.
Now onto the task of how to tune it to its best sound?
Dale Smith
HA_DA_JA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:42 pm

If it's just to sell the drum, an Ambassador is cheaper by about $2.
Every new snare comes with a plain coated head installed, that's what people expect and accept.
The CS Dot is great. A little more focussed and durable. But if you're buying heads to sell snares, the Ambassador is cheaper and industry standard.
(When recording I use both)
Whitten
ChrisW
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Kurt » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Keep in mind also that the first thing many people do when they buy a new drum is to strip, clean and reskin it. Don't stress about tuning as that also is a very personal thing.
Kurt Neist
Chief cook and bottle washer - Metalworx
Kurt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to Recording Drums?