Juno 60 issues

Moderators: Thirteen, rick, Mark Bassett

Juno 60 issues

Postby Jason Dirckze » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Hello! Am having a little trouble with my beloved Juno 60 and hope someone here may be able to shed some light on the issue or point me in the direction of a fix.

My Juno worked wonderfully for ages but is now having a problem when I fire her up. It sounds like the LFO speed is all the way up and all the LFO mod destinations (Filter, OSC, and ENV) have also been turned up to full speed. Every one of my programmed patches are affected. In the beginning, all it would take was 30 minutes and she would then go back to normal, but lately I've been leaving her on for hours and the problem hasn't corrected itself. I have sourced and changed the internal lithium battery, and the Juno has been in for full service at Phase Engineering. When the problem first arose I took it in to Phase and Murphy stepped in and they couldn't replicate the issue.

Anyone encountered this before???

I'd love to have it back to 100% functional...

Cheers,
Jason
Jason Dirckze

Postby Thirteen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Does the LFO LED match the modulation speed?
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Jason Dirckze » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:03 pm

Thirteen wrote:Does the LFO LED match the modulation speed?

I don't think the Juno 60 has an LFO LED that pulses with the speed of the LFO... well, I can't see one anyway. As it turns out, I just went to check if there was an LFO LED, and the Juno has returned to normal. Only took about 8 hours. I'm guessing something inside needs to warm up, just not sure what it is.

Edit: Thirteen... I've just noticed you are a synth technician!!! Good to know someone in Sydney that I can turn to for synth repairs. Have you any experience repairing vintage consoles? I have a Studer 169 that needs some serious TLC
Jason Dirckze

Postby Thirteen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:35 am

What issues are you having with the console? Is it a repair job or a restoration project? As for the Juno, I doubt that it will be anything too major, at least it is an intermittent problem that leans toward the fault side, so that it will be easy to trace the problem.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Postby Jason Dirckze » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 am

The VU meters (L/R) on the console stopped working a while ago, and I can't get signal to the Master buss either, the two are probably related me thinks. Also, one of the preamps isn't working, and there are some scratchy pots here and there. So there are a couple things that need fixing, and maybe a once over. Any idea what kind of costs I'd be looking at with a job like this? I have full schematics for the console, plus some spare caps.

As far as the Juno goes, I may contact you at some point in the future and book it in for a check up...
Jason Dirckze

Postby Thirteen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Jason Dirckze wrote:The VU meters (L/R) on the console stopped working a while ago, and I can't get signal to the Master buss either, the two are probably related me thinks. Also, one of the preamps isn't working, and there are some scratchy pots here and there. So there are a couple things that need fixing, and maybe a once over. Any idea what kind of costs I'd be looking at with a job like this? I have full schematics for the console, plus some spare caps.

As far as the Juno goes, I may contact you at some point in the future and book it in for a check up...

I am happy to do the job, I would have to see the machine to give you a repair estimate though... If you want to PM me your number I will give you a call.
Steve Jones
Thirteen
TRM Endorsed
TRM Endorsed

Return to Vintage Synth Forum